Polishing watch-cases.

Thread: Polishing watch-cases.

Polishing watch-cases.

I'm thinking of giving the case of my pocket watch a polishing. What should I use?

I have either simichrome metal polishing paste.

Or, I have a gold polishing cloth (which needs to be moistened slightly with water before use).

What is the safer option?

And the case is gold-filled, if that affects choice of polishing agent.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Re: Polishing watch-cases.

On the gold-filled case,I wouldn't use metal polishing paste,since it could be very abrasive and can possibly damage the surface of the case.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

That's what I was worried about. I use Simichrome in other areas of my life, such as polishing pen-nibs and clips, but I was worried about using it on a watch.

So, gold-polishing cloth is the way to go, is it?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally,I use polishing paste while polishing cases that are made out of solid materials,either silver or gold,knowing that I don't do that so often so the damage is reduced on the minimal possible rate.

In your case,I presume that polishing cloth would be more suitable then paste.

Maybe the "jewelleryman" would know for sure what is the best way.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

I have a jeweler's cloth or a microfiber cloth and I just use it dry and give the case a wipe.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I have a jeweler's cloth or a microfiber cloth and I just use it dry and give the case a wipe.
    Me too!
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

WX1

Flitz metal polish (you can find that in, say, a chef/kitchen/cooking-specialty shop; I've also see it at, say, a hardware store) has instructions on using its formula on metal plated/painted material. I've used that on my rhodium-plated Tissot mech' pocket. Flitz supposedly offers protective allowances/elements as well.

I've used the toothpaste tube version. In a weird-sided grey-colored box. Can't miss it.

Anybody use just plain old cotton cloth to wipe their watches?

Quote Originally Posted by WX1 View Post
    Flitz metal polish (you can find that in, say, a chef/kitchen/cooking-specialty shop; I've also see it at, say, a hardware store) has instructions on using its formula on metal plated/painted material. I've used that on my rhodium-plated Tissot mech' pocket. Flitz supposedly offers protective allowances/elements as well.

I've used the toothpaste tube version. In a weird-sided grey-colored box. Can't miss it.

Anybody use just plain old cotton cloth to wipe their watches?
    I wipe mine using an eyeglass cleaning cloth, but not to remove any type of scratches.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Hi -

Micro-fiber is the way to go: that and the judicious application of elbow grease. Especially on a gold-plated case.

I use an electric toothbrush and an old brush head whenever I get a new vintage, largely to get rid of all the human gunk that invariably is on such a watch. Of course, only after I've removed the movement in any case (pun intended), since you can't count on them being water-resistant any longer. I use a silica-laced toothpaste for stainless steel watches to clean them (and it gives them a minty, refreshing taste that lasts for hours!) properly, but for anything plated it's just water. I've also used ultrasonic, but found that is really only good when there is some seriously baked-on human gunk, and even then it takes several rounds to get it out.

On one of my vintages I've got paint splatters, but it appears to be marine paint (a glossy grey at that, it was a vintage Australian military watch) and I've been unable to remove it chemically, making that case a potential candidate for a refinishing. Don't want to do it, though, since it's got a lovely black finish that has held up fairly well, and shows its scars well...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    On one of my vintages I've got paint splatters, but it appears to be marine paint (a glossy grey at that, it was a vintage Australian military watch) and I've been unable to remove it chemically, making that case a potential candidate for a refinishing. Don't want to do it, though, since it's got a lovely black finish that has held up fairly well, and shows its scars well...
    Do you have some pictures of this one John? Perhaps some suggestions for removing the grey paint might be forthcoming. What have you tried?

Thread Information