Poly Watch for GLASS. Has anyone tried this?

Thread: Poly Watch for GLASS. Has anyone tried this?

Poly Watch for GLASS. Has anyone tried this?

I've received ads from JBorel and now seen this at Esslinger and eBay about a Poly Watch for glass. For those of us who attempt to polish glass crystals, finding less taxing means would be great. Hard to believe anything would work but has anyone tried this ?

Re: Poly Watch for GLASS. Has anyone tried this?

is it cerium oxide based?
    Chaos is my focus

Just referred to as "diamond" polish. I've bought and tried several grades,meshes, grits etc of diamond polishes with minimal success.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know I tried some diamond paste on a scratched mineral glass crystal and didn't get anywhere. I think you really need to use a dremel to get it to work properly. I've heard of people sandpapering the entire glass crystal then buffing it with diamond paste to make it look scratch-free, but it's hard work!

I'm no expert on this, so forgive me if this info is wrong, but buffing glass like that actually removes surface material and can make the glass thinner, and potentially distort it a bit. With plexiglass/acrylic crystals, the Polywatch actually helps to "add" material to the cracks/scratches to kind of physically fill them in and not weaken the material.
    I'm on Instagram if you want to see more: wigglywigglyworm

I've bought it, after working for a long time with the regular Polywatch for acrylic crystals with best success = 1500 grid sandpaper, 2000 grid, Polywatch - like new, all by hand!

Now, the stuff for regular glass is a lot more tricky. Without going too much into detail: It works (to some extend), but forget it without the right instruments and anyway, you have to practise a lot before.

Quote Originally Posted by fiskadoro View Post
    I know I tried some diamond paste on a scratched mineral glass crystal and didn't get anywhere. I think you really need to use a dremel to get it to work properly. I've heard of people sandpapering the entire glass crystal then buffing it with diamond paste to make it look scratch-free, but it's hard work!

I'm no expert on this, so forgive me if this info is wrong, but buffing glass like that actually removes surface material and can make the glass thinner, and potentially distort it a bit. With plexiglass/acrylic crystals, the Polywatch actually helps to "add" material to the cracks/scratches to kind of physically fill them in and not weaken the material.
    The polywatch also removes material from acrylic. It's a fine abrasive compound. The types of polish that "fill-in" scratches improve the appearance temporarily, but don't really last very long.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The polywatch also removes material from acrylic. It's a fine abrasive compound. The types of polish that "fill-in" scratches improve the appearance temporarily, but don't really last very long.
    Good to know. Thanks!
    I'm on Instagram if you want to see more: wigglywigglyworm

Well, just to add something which is not always understood: You cannot 'polish out' scratches. Scratches sit deeper than the surface, so you really have to sand down the surface to the level of the scratches.

Another thing is filling the scratches, and, yes, as it has been mentioned before, that works to some extend, but usually doesn't last so long, depending what you use and where. Something similar works perfect and long lasting when windshields (windscreens) of cars are repaired. But this is different stuff and involves different procedures of hardening etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fiskadoro View Post
    . . . . I think you really need to use a dremel to get it to work properly. . . . .
    If your intent is to produce a combination of troughs and crests reminiscent of a New England seascape this is indeed the correct tool.

Otherwise 5-9" buffs on a dust collector equipped polishing station.

If the crystal is flat hones and laps may be alternately utilized.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Thread Information