Pontiac watches
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Pontiac watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pontiac watches

Hi,

I'm starting a new thread on vintage Pontiac watches.

I invite anyone who's got a Pontiac (the watch not the car) to share pictures of it, or to share information about this Swiss brand which is now defunct but was highly popular in the BENELUX in the 60 and 70s.

I'm kicking off with pictures of my own Pontiac Nageur, which I like for its pie-pan dial. The dial is actual mono-tone but the light plays tricks on the eye because of the pie-pan shape.

I believe this watch is an unusual model for Pontiac precisely because of its pie-pan dial. The red colour and shape of the seconds hand gives it a rather sporty look; just what you would expect from a watch named 'nageur': French for swimmer. And, yes, the watch is waterproof, too.

And, what do you think of the serial number: 1234? How unusual is that?

Name:  Pontiac Nageur.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  142.6 KB

Name:  Pontiac 1234.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  155.3 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Pontiac watches

Looks like a nice 1950s watch. I am not surprised that the brand was big in Benelux - Mikrolisk gives it as a brand of "Etablissements A. Kinsbergen SA" of Brussels. I doubt that 1234 is the serial number, it is more likely the reference number or (in rare cases also found) the calibre designation.

Hartmut Richter

The brand was indeed founded in Belgium in 1932.
    Pontiac may be dead - or dormant, until somebody decides to revive it - but the spirit somehow lives on in the ventures of the founder's grandson. Read more:History - Watches GMT Chronographs Montre Aviation Watch GMT - powered by MegaraM CMS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  DSC00186.JPG
Views: 3379
Size:  239.4 KB

This is one I used to own (I sold it, I had too many old watches). It was using an ETA movement. It's called the "Maillot Jaune". The maillot jaune (litteraly the yellow singlet) is a distinctive color code for the "Tour de France", the famous cycling competition.

I offered my stepfather the "Maillot Arc en Ciel" (Rainbow singlet) which is a very cool mechanical chronograph using a Landeron movement.

Right now, I'm wearing a late 1990's Pontiac Hydraulica. It's a classic watch using an ETA 2824-2 movement and I own a Pontiac Chronograph Quartz which has a "Submariner" look, but pretty good build quality.
    Last edited by danduncan; December 7th, 2013 at 14:01.
    Tomcat1960 likes this.

Name:  Attachment 3(2).jpg
Views: 3335
Size:  250.8 KB
    There you go ! This is the Pontiac Chronograph ! The way I acquired it is "family". I like it so my stepfather gave it to me. I'm always amazed bout the quality. When you rotate the bezel, you feel a solid and smooth click.

Name:  Attachment 1(3).jpg
Views: 3255
Size:  241.5 KB
    This is my Hydraulica. Simple but I like it.
    Tomcat1960 and MarkMarkH like this.

Not in mint condition but i did get it very cheap

Name:  081213.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  109.8 KB

It as a FHF28 movement that runs well and keeps good time

Name:  081213m.jpg
Views: 3183
Size:  127.5 KB
    Tomcat1960 likes this.

hello,
    I recently bought my first vintage watch at Adelin in Antwerp.
    A Pontiac Maillot Arc-en-Ciel.

However, somebody told me it's a fake.

It seems Pontiac adds stars to indicate the quality of the watch. The maximum number of stars is apparently 3.
    My watch has 4...

After some internet research, I only found information confirming the 3* story.
    No pictures of Pontiacs with 4 stars and 2 dutch sites on pontiac watches with no mention of 4* watches.

Can somebody put me at ease or do I have to go back te the store?

Thank you,
    JanName:  foto 2.JPG
Views: 3003
Size:  101.2 KBName:  foto 1.JPG
Views: 2929
Size:  94.5 KB
    Tomcat1960 and Stigmata like this.

Not a fake watch, but possibly a refinished dial. It looks very clean, maybe too clean for a 100 % original dial.
    Maybe others can judge this better, but higher resolution pics would be helpful.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

@ jancalliauw: yeah, surely a fake. I'll send you my address and will scrap it for you at no extra cost (Yeah, guys, I know you laughed about this one before ... )

Seriously - a beautiful watch! Don't worry about this three-star thing. Look at mine:

I had to have it. Of course I had to. Look at its shape

A decagon, in a sharp, slim chrome-plated case, inspired by ... I don't know: an architectural drawing by Vauban?

[SIZE=1]Plan of the fortress and city of New Brisach/SIZE]

The clean, beautiful Peseux 7040 ...

... is a very solid, well-marching handwinder which was used, among others, by Girard-Perregeaux (as cal. 091). It makes for a nice, flat watch:

Note that the crown is signed.

Before everybody goes over the barrel I'd like to state that the watch is very slim, very light and feels like a piece of origami on my wrist. I love it, seriously, but if this is as good as Pontiac's watch quality ever got, it's little wonder that they are defunct now.

That said, Jan: your's has four stars and is, imho, of a quality superior to mine. I think, this three-star thing is nonsense, maybe brought up by someone sitting on a box full of tristars

As we say in Germany: each day a fool rises from his bed Don't let them fool you!

Regards
    Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; April 14th, 2014 at 21:57.
    pr1uk, MarkMarkH and Ledcheek like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

I would like to get a new leather strap for my watch. Does anyone know the correct size? I measured it and I think it is 16mm but it could be 15mm as well.

Thanks!

Name:  3178utg.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  252.5 KB

Name:  qx2ico.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  255.5 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information