Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

Thread: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member flipstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    123

    Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Hey all,

    I'm planning to get one this weekend and unfortunately, he doesn't have pictures of the mechanism; just front and back.

    What should I look out for in order to determine its' legitimacy?

    http://i.imgur.com/2bZvn.jpg

    http://i.imgur.com/pxCLT.jpg

    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

    ---

    Needs more watch...

    My Instagram Feed!

  2. #2
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,974

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    In that case, I'm sorry but I for one will tell you to forget it. At least forget any appraisals, that is. Without a picture of the mechanism, there might be anything inside. We have had some Zenith pocket watches turned into fancy wrist watches by Ukrainian specialists but the last one didn't even have a Zenith movement inside.....!

    Hartmut Richter

  3. #3
    Member flipstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    123

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    In that case, I'm sorry but I for one will tell you to forget it. At least forget any appraisals, that is. Without a picture of the mechanism, there might be anything inside. We have had some Zenith pocket watches turned into fancy wrist watches by Ukrainian specialists but the last one didn't even have a Zenith movement inside.....!

    Hartmut Richter
    Oh of course. I wasn't expecting an appraisal now. I'm wondering if you have tips or advice on what to look for in these types of watches to see if it's legit? (ex. a specific sequence of serial numbers from approx. age based on appearance)

    Something like that.
    ---

    Needs more watch...

    My Instagram Feed!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,055

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    The Serial Number is usually on the movement itself. It won't be outside the watch unless its newer than 1995ish for a Omega.

    Any older watch could look N.O.S. if the previous owner babied it and kept it in a fantastic condition.

    You really need to open it up with a Omega AD and check the movement.

    The Omega font looks off and theres no swiss made or swiss under the usual section, so I'd skip it especially if he doesn't have movement pics, its his job to prove its legit to you ie his job to sell you it as a authentic piece not to throw you off with things that don't help in proving it authentic.

    I think of it like this, would you buy a car without having your mechanic or authorized dealer check it out? Better yet, would you buy a vintage Ferrari without opening up the engine because "he doesn't have the pics of it"

    Theres a big diffrence in real vs. fake. Unless your getting it for super cheap I really wouldn't risk it without a better opinion or pictures of the movement.

    Hope that helped a bit

    Igor
    Last edited by Rogi; June 2nd, 2012 at 00:17.

  6. #5
    Member flipstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    123

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by ii8173888 View Post
    The Serial Number is usually on the movement itself. It won't be outside the watch unless its newer than 1995ish for a Omega.

    Any older watch could look N.O.S. if the previous owner babied it and kept it in a fantastic condition.

    You really need to open it up with a Omega AD and check the movement.

    The Omega font looks off and theres no swiss made or swiss under the usual section, so I'd skip it especially if he doesn't have movement pics, its his job to prove its legit to you ie his job to sell you it as a authentic piece not to throw you off with things that don't help in proving it authentic.

    I think of it like this, would you buy a car without having your mechanic or authorized dealer check it out? Better yet, would you buy a vintage Ferrari without opening up the engine because "he doesn't have the pics of it"

    Theres a big diffrence in real vs. fake. Unless your getting it for super cheap I really wouldn't risk it without a better opinion or pictures of the movement.

    Hope that helped a bit

    Igor
    Define 'cheap'
    ---

    Needs more watch...

    My Instagram Feed!

  7. #6
    Member AbslomRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Canada
    Posts
    5,315

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    To be honest, omega pocket watches aren't usually faked (unless they've been turned into wristwatches of course). Omega pocket watches aren't all that expensive, frankly, so it's hardly worth the effort. The omega 19 movements are fairly distinctive looking, so with a bit of research you should be able to tell right off if its legit.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,355

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Go to the Omega web page, if they haven't changed it recently there should be a section on Omega history that illustrates many Omega movements. Also do a Google search on Omega pocket watches.

  9. #8
    Member fotopetar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brač-Bjelovar(Hrvatska)
    Posts
    140

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    First, greetings!
    Do not buy a clock mechanism and no picture when you picture the whole hour show them experts dal to either know everything is ok.
    Secondly Omega is not completely preserved in the face of over 12 names to the Omega hands see the dash, which immediately reduces the value of an hour, because the image is always around the clock, they must be well painted so that they can see the possible disadvantages.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,055

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Define 'cheap'

    Like Garage sale prices, a buck or two. If your buying it at anything like "retail" value or a dealer's value, if I was you I'd want a picture of the movement and enough time for everyone to check it out. I'd rather not get swindled for 20-200 bucks if they ever run that high :D sometimes i over pay if I really "love" the watch but if there isn't a movement pic there isn't much to love. It could be empty :D or it could house a cheapo replacement. Although it isn't worth most people selling a fake etc its known to happen.

    I'd be more concerned on a wrist watch but if I was spending anything more than 20 bucks on that watch I'd want a movement pic. Its also most likely filled gold so double check the threads on it, thats one of the major places where people can get you, if the threads arn't that great its not even worth the time to look at it :(

  11. #10
    Member flipstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    123

    Re: Possible Omega Pocket Watch Purchase - Help?

    Quote Originally Posted by ii8173888 View Post
    Like Garage sale prices, a buck or two. If your buying it at anything like "retail" value or a dealer's value, if I was you I'd want a picture of the movement and enough time for everyone to check it out. I'd rather not get swindled for 20-200 bucks if they ever run that high :D sometimes i over pay if I really "love" the watch but if there isn't a movement pic there isn't much to love. It could be empty :D or it could house a cheapo replacement. Although it isn't worth most people selling a fake etc its known to happen.

    I'd be more concerned on a wrist watch but if I was spending anything more than 20 bucks on that watch I'd want a movement pic. Its also most likely filled gold so double check the threads on it, thats one of the major places where people can get you, if the threads arn't that great its not even worth the time to look at it :(
    Well, he's asking $200 for it. I've done the research and I'll use these pictures as my guide:

    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 19'''

    http://www.ranfft.de/bidfun/katb/2uswk/Omega_19.jpg

    http://www.ranfft.de/bidfun/katb/2uswk/Omega_19-1.jpg


    Or this one...

    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Omega_19HN

    http://www.ranfft.de/bidfun/katb/2uswk/Omega_19HN.jpg

    http://www.ranfft.de/bidfun/katb/2uswk/Omega_19HN-1.jpg
    I do like the detail on the cover though. What do you mean by 'check the threads'?
    Last edited by flipstah; June 2nd, 2012 at 19:36.
    ---

    Needs more watch...

    My Instagram Feed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •