Possibly issue with my Hammy?

Thread: Possibly issue with my Hammy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possibly issue with my Hammy?

Hey fellas,

The past two times I've worn my '56 Hammy K-455, it has stopped on my wrist. This is frustrating because all the other times I've worn it this hasn't occurred. Granted, both times I haven't been moving much (studying for finals) and I simply shook it to get it going before I put it on. It has the Hamilton 661 movement (which is actually a Kurth Freres 28.45). Does the rotor only spin in one direction?

Is this just a lack of getting the watch going? I prefer not to manually wind it. The watch was serviced near the end of last year, so no issues there.

Everything is probably a-okay, but I figured I'd ask.

Watch in question:

Re: Possibly issue with my Hammy?

I had a Hamilton with that movement. I think it winds in both directions, but for some reason, the rotor assembly got gummed up and wouldn't wind the watch. It would run okay for a day if I manually wound it. Eventually I took it apart and cleaned the movement and it has been running fine since. Ron

Thanks for the the info. I'd like to think that if my watch was gummed up, it would have started doing this a long time ago.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If all it takes to get the watch going again is a bit of motion, and it keeps running for more then an hour after, you can probably rule out something in the winding mechanism. When the watch stops, make a note of the position of the hands; you might find that one of them is lightly touching something; just enough so that if the watch is in the right position when it happens, it stops the movement. If you can't see anything like that, it's likely a piece of dirt or fiber that has found its way into the movement, and occasionally jams up the gears.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the insight. I'll report in about a week with my findings. I'm at school and I always leave my Hammy at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
    Hey fellas,

The past two times I've worn my '56 Hammy K-455, it has stopped on my wrist. This is frustrating because all the other times I've worn it this hasn't occurred. Granted, both times I haven't been moving much (studying for finals) and I simply shook it to get it going before I put it on. It has the Hamilton 661 movement (which is actually a Kurth Freres 28.45). Does the rotor only spin in one direction?

Is this just a lack of getting the watch going? I prefer not to manually wind it. The watch was serviced near the end of last year, so no issues there.

Everything is probably a-okay, but I figured I'd ask.

Watch in question:

Nice looking Hamilton. Lets check how efficiently the rotor is working by estimating the working power reserve. Wear the watch for a week when you are not staring at books and notes - and no handwinding. Then take the watch off note the time and let it run down completely. I'm thinking the power reserve should be 38 to 40 hours.

Should I wind it before I wear it? Because I never do.

When I take it off and let it run down completely the power reserve is NEVER near 38 to 40 hours. I don't know what it was like before that because it was my grandfather's. After it was given to me, I immediately had it sent out for service (late last year). I did not run it beforehand. It hadn't been run in maybe 40 - 45 years before I started wearing it.

I'll try wearing it for an entire day. I hope there isn't a real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
    Should I wind it before I wear it? Because I never do.

When I take it off and let it run down completely the power reserve is NEVER near 38 to 40 hours. I don't know what it was like before that because it was my grandfather's. After it was given to me, I immediately had it sent out for service (late last year). I did not run it beforehand. It hadn't been run in maybe 40 - 45 years before I started wearing it.

I'll try wearing it for an entire day. I hope there isn't a real issue.
    If it was properly serviced a year ago it should still attain full power reserve. Please don't wind it beyond a turn or two to get it running. A one day test won't tell you anything about the efficiency of the rotor. Just wear it for 10 hours per day for 5 days.

Thanks! I apologize for slipping over 'no handwinding' the first time you said it.

Will report back once I'm able to wear it.

I believe I'm going to be wearing my Hammy tomorrow morning and throughout the day. I should be moving around enough that it should not stop if something isn't wrong, though that still doesn't explain the power reserve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information