Posting etiquette, watch fits into many categories, is it ok to post multiple threads?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By muphasta
  • 3 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 2 Post By Fugitive Moi
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By Fugitive Moi
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: Posting etiquette, watch fits into many categories, is it ok to post multiple threads?

Posting etiquette, watch fits into many categories, is it ok to post multiple threads?

Please point out the thread if this has been asked before, I don't mean to be a pain.

My question is, is it acceptable to post in multiple forums if your watch fits into several areas?

As an example, I am expecting to receive my father's 1970 Seiko dive watch. This watch seems to fit into 3 forum areas that I've seen:
    Citizen & Seiko
    Dive watches
    Vintage

would it be bad form to basically post the same thing in each of these three areas? If so, which would be the best one to post in?
    anzac1957 likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Posting etiquette, watch fits into many categories, is it ok to post multiple threads?

It is not really useful, though not actually forbidden, to post in different fora. What is really bad (although not explicitly forbidden either) is to post multiple threads in the same forum! Either practice will run the risk of moderators merging/deleting threads or posts. The best solution is to post in one forum only and then leave links with redirects in the other fora. The forum with the main post or thread is up to your choice but it is best to choose the one which is likely to get the most responses or the sort of response you want (in this case, do you want to answer "How old is it?" - go for Vintage; or "What model is this?" - go for Seiko/Citizen; etc.)

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt, anzac1957 and muphasta like this.

Re: Posting etiquette, watch fits into many categories, is it ok to post multiple threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It is not really useful, though not actually forbidden, to post in different fora. What is really bad (although not explicitly forbidden either) is to post multiple threads in the same forum! Either practice will run the risk of moderators merging/deleting threads or posts. The best solution is to post in one forum only and then leave links with redirects in the other fora. The forum with the main post or thread is up to your choice but it is best to choose the one which is likely to get the most responses or the sort of response you want (in this case, do you want to answer "How old is it?" - go for Vintage; or "What model is this?" - go for Seiko/Citizen; etc.)

Hartmut Richter

Just a though on the above.

I appreciate posting in two or more forums may yeild duplicate results, but I am sure there are people that frequent certain areas and never venture far from them. I could imagine a Seiko fan frequenting the Seiko/Citizen forum, but perhaps not looking in the Vintage forum. I have noticed a few folks that don't seem to 'search', so wouldn't pick up related threads in all the areas.

Also placing a main thread in one forum and 'signpost' threads in others probably wouldn't work well, because the 'signpost' threads would not get any responses and would get lost down through the list pretty quickly unless constantly 'bumped' by the OP.

Just my 2c
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum while waiting for Horace Goes Skiing to load

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess it also has to do with what you need to know. If you're looking for info on the watch, maybe try the Seiko forum first and if that doesn't help, post it here. Or the other way around.
    The dive watch forum would probably be good to show it, once you get the info you need.
    That's probably what I would do. YMMV :)
    muphasta likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

basically, if I get my father's Seiko, I want to show it off. I really don't need to be told much about it, I know the model, movement, and when it was made.
    Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by muphasta View Post
    basically, if I get my father's Seiko, I want to show it off. I really don't need to be told much about it, I know the model, movement, and when it was made.
    Thanks for the input!

All three it is then!

Plus affordables makes four
    muphasta likes this.
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum while waiting for Horace Goes Skiing to load

Quote Originally Posted by muphasta View Post
    Thanks for the input!
    Usually in that type of case, I post in multiple different forums, rather than different sections within one forum.
    Therefore on WUS, I only post in this or NAWCC forum, although I do read some of the others for research purposes.
    Regards and ENJOY your Dad's watch
    Adam
    muphasta likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information