The postman was very good to me today!

Thread: The postman was very good to me today!

The postman was very good to me today!

I am absolutely thrilled with two packages that arrived at my office this morning. Both were purchases from obscure eBay sellers, one in Germany (eBay.de) and one in the U.S. I bought them cheap, hoping they would not be "losers." When I opened each box I was floored at how nice they are. One is a Swiss Repco (35mm case!) in solid 18K gold and an ornate rope-type bezel. The caseback is beautiful and clearly shows the Swiss 075/18K hallmark. Very, very nice condition - - for $164.00! It even came with the original watch case. The other watch is a 1940s Gruen Curvex in solid 14K rose gold with coin-edge lugs - - in beautiful condition. The seller's photos were terrible, which is why I got this gem for a paltry $200.00. I'll have photos maybe this weekend, but here are two of the German seller's photos of the 18K Repco.

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Re: The postman was very good to me today!

Tom,

You seem to find the nicest vintage watches on the net! Lovely in every regard, particularly like the rope-type bezel!

I thought I heard you say you were more a bracelet-type guy someplace? How is that when you keep finding these exquisite vintage watches and somehow the perfect strap for them (like your Hamilton)?
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Docrwm View Post
    Tom,

You seem to find the nicest vintage watches on the net! Lovely in every regard, particularly like the rope-type bezel!

I thought I heard you say you were more a bracelet-type guy someplace? How is that when you keep finding these exquisite vintage watches and somehow the perfect strap for them (like your Hamilton)?
    Robert,

I AM a bracelet guy when it comes to modern watches, but not for vintage. This Repco may be a challenge, as the strap is a very cheap and flimsy one that I don't think is even leather. Unfortunately, the watch has permanent lug bars instead of removable spring bars, so finding a good strap of that style may be difficult. That's part of the fun of vintage watches, I guess!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

First of all, great buys there. I'll be especially interested in that ole Gruen you got coming in...

Yep, fixed lug bars are a challenge. I've gotten a couple of leather bands from Eddie Platt which have been excellent, but they're more aviator-type than anything else, with a visible screw-down that doesn't really match with that Repco.

What you may end up having to do is to bite the bullet and get a strap designed for one of the older Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso watches, which had fixed lug bars as well. I've got an older Nomad watch (Swiss orphan) which was my first vintage back in 1994 (!) and I was able to find several good straps for it at a higher-end jewelry/watch shop. Unfortunately, they wanted $$$ for the straps, more than I paid for the watch, and so it's on the original strap that the watch came on (it was NOS from a watch shop that was closing down, got it for around $60 or so, not sure what's inside of it right now, I think a '50s vintage AS) and it doesn't get much wrist time.

These straps invariably are glued on at the shop where you buy them and the watch disappears for a day or two to do so...

JohnF

PS: I usually put the fixed lug bar watches I have on a Bond Nato or a very, very simple black nylon mesh that I pick up locally here for $10 or so that loops under the watch. But the fixed lug bar watches I have tend not to be as elegant as that Repco.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

First of all, great buys there. I'll be especially interested in that ole Gruen you got coming in...

Yep, fixed lug bars are a challenge. I've gotten a couple of leather bands from Eddie Platt which have been excellent, but they're more aviator-type than anything else, with a visible screw-down that doesn't really match with that Repco.

What you may end up having to do is to bite the bullet and get a strap designed for one of the older Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso watches, which had fixed lug bars as well. I've got an older Nomad watch (Swiss orphan) which was my first vintage back in 1994 (!) and I was able to find several good straps for it at a higher-end jewelry/watch shop. Unfortunately, they wanted $$$ for the straps, more than I paid for the watch, and so it's on the original strap that the watch came on (it was NOS from a watch shop that was closing down, got it for around $60 or so, not sure what's inside of it right now, I think a '50s vintage AS) and it doesn't get much wrist time.

These straps invariably are glued on at the shop where you buy them and the watch disappears for a day or two to do so...

JohnF

PS: I usually put the fixed lug bar watches I have on a Bond Nato or a very, very simple black nylon mesh that I pick up locally here for $10 or so that loops under the watch. But the fixed lug bar watches I have tend not to be as elegant as that Repco.
    Hi John,

Actually, after I opened the two boxes, I replaced my 1948 Hammy with the Gruen for the rest of the day. It operated flawlessly and looked great! Maybe photos by the weekend.

Tom

Thread Information