pretty neat find!

Thread: pretty neat find!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pretty neat find!

Hi all, just thought I would do a little sharing , could only find a little info about this one, plan to keep for now maybe restore one day, thanks for looking

Re: pretty neat find!

Wow, that's a handsome looking watch, and quite a find. I like the watch band. Are these watches still in manufacture? My knowledge is lacking where it comes to vintage watches well, any watch really, - so I'll ask....are any one of those three inset dials a compass of sorts? My instinct is to look for NSEW markings, but I suppose it could be in degrees...? long & lat?? Thanks for posting your find.

Bet that would look sweet on a nice leather strap...HMMM thinking brown.
    Interesting bracelet though. Any movement shots?
    Don't think I have heard of the brand, very sharp though.
    Congrats.

Peace,
    Scott

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cheeriosarefree View Post
    Wow, that's a handsome looking watch, and quite a find. I like the watch band. Are these watches still in manufacture? My knowledge is lacking where it comes to vintage watches well, any watch really, - so I'll ask....are any one of those three inset dials a compass of sorts? My instinct is to look for NSEW markings, but I suppose it could be in degrees...? long & lat?? Thanks for posting your find.
    No, this watch is what is called a 'chronograph'... essentially it operates a stopwatch function and these dials show elapsed time.

Most watches with a built in dial displayed compass are quartz - like the Tissot T-Touch. Hermes made a two-faced watch with a more normal compass in their Nomade line -- but it costs a couple of mortgage payments
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

WOW! I'd love to know what's inside! Venus? Landeron? In any case, looks like it's from the time when phone calls were still charged in three-minute units.

Hartmut Richter

http://www.nps.gov/nhl/DOE_dedesignations/hialeah.htm
    Maybe used for timing the ponies at the racetrack. Of course they probably don't bet on the races in Germany, do they Hartmut?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Oh God, yes - we have horseracing here in Germany! Not as common as in England and the states, though.....

Hartmut Richter

from what I can gather it dates to the forties, swiss, O maire movement said to be same as early omega, band is expando type made in Germany, leather is definitely in order maybe croc or lizard even.

Ray -

I live about 20 minutes from Hialeah, which is a suburb of Miami. Haven't had any racing there in many years. The land is just sitting there, and the "historic" designation keeps the owners from taking on any further development. Quite sad, if you ask me.

They are still keeping up the flamingoes, though.

I'd love to find a "Hialeah" brand watch of any sort, but a chronograph would be really special for a Miami boy!

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; February 12th, 2008 at 04:37. Reason: Add image

I found this "Hialeah" chrono at Farfo for $1,699 (yikes!). Lemania movement...

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information