Pretty sure this is a redial. Another T&H Gem.
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Pretty sure this is a redial. Another T&H Gem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pretty sure this is a redial. Another T&H Gem.

https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa...te-ref-1501-3/

I'm pretty sure they're attempting to sell a redial.

"offiCially certified"
    "chr0nometer"

But a 1501-3 for $3.7k USD. What are they smoking?

And look at this gold 1601; the lug could put an eye out.

https://theoandharris.com/vintage-wa...t-ref-1601-18/

I'm honestly surprised that the market will bear the obvious price gouging; but as a person who mostly deals in vintage this is abhorrent.
    Last edited by Rolex6022; December 4th, 2017 at 20:48.
    Kreyke, mkws and busmatt like this.

Re: Pretty sure this is a redial. Another T&H Gem.

I believe that 1503 should be two-tone, i.e. with a gold bezel, and the hands have also been swapped out. Pretty much a disaster.

Edit: Sorry, I misread the reference number, which is 1501. In which case the hands and bezel are ok, but the dial is wrong. And yes, the price is exorbitant for a 34mm Rolex, even if it were completely correct.
    Last edited by badbackdan; December 4th, 2017 at 20:01.
    mkws and busmatt like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

DON

Average buyer is going to see Rolex and nothing else will register with them

I stopped helping people on Ebay years ago (when you were able to email bidders) to warn them they were bidding on a fake and one idiot names me in his post (I had emailed the seller that the watch was fake)

Figured they're adults and if they're not willing to do their due diligence. I wasn't going to get banned helping them

DON
    Habitant, VESPASIAN and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What gets me is how bad the case conditions are; mangled lugs from bad polishing jobs, bad finish on the oyster cases (polished when it should be brushed and brush grains in the wrong direction) all being sold at way over mint market prices. It's terrible especially from a guy who says he's an oyster case "expert."
    mkws likes this.

Even the minute markers are not spaced equally. Dont think rolex would make that mistake.
    mkws likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

The first one is an obvious redial with incorrect hands. And there they go about it supposedly being a "rarity." Audacity: level 1000/1000. Movement not identified, no case back and movement pictures either.

I'm awfully tempted to roast the description in that listing, but I'll resist this time.

No! No, I won't resist it. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more [...] The game's afoot: follow your spirit, and upon this charge..."

"This is one of those Rolexes that I know I will always regret selling."

Oh, you mean that you will regret fleecing someone for this piece of junk? Why don't I believe you? Or: why should I even make the effort of trying to believe you?

"It’s the kind of watch I’ll talk about over a few whiskeys with watch geeks, reminiscing on the past."

It's "whisky", not "whiskey." Unless you're drinking bourbon. If you truly intend to drink to this franken and redial, allow me to remind you, that there's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good Scotch, so you better be drinking bourbon. Because it'd truly be a waste of Scotch, to drink to this pile of rubbish. And if you'd waste any for doing so, then thou verily art mean and base.

"It’s a Rolex Date Reference 1501, a seemingly average watch. But in its details, it’s a star."

You see, but you don't observe. Or is the deficit of powers of observation a very visible - and beyond noxious - side effect of having a permanently vacant mind? Details? Redial, replaced hands, and you're going with "details?" You wouldn't spot an elephant standing an inch away!

"...but its the dial that steals the show. If you’re familiar with vintage Rolex text, you’ll spot that the “ROLEX” signature here is abnormally, unmistakably large. I’ve seen this print before, but only in the private collections of senior enthusiasts so, as you might imagine, I’m giddy to own one myself."

"It's the dial", not "its the dial." "Its" is a possessive pronoun. The Grammar and Punctuation Constabulary, ever at your service. I am familiar with the Rolex font, which is why I don't believe a word of that. Got nothing to confirm your claims? Then scuttle.

"So, although I’m admittedly reluctant to be letting this watch go, I’m extremely proud to be bringing it to the public."

It's a pity that said reluctance is either false, in which case it stems from ill will, or it comes as a side effect of knowing nothing. I wouldn't be proud of owning that pile of rubbish, let alone of selling it for well above the worth of a legit specimen. No one with a shred of honour would be able to look at themselves in the mirror after selling that, and so shamelessly shoving such drivel up the people's heads.

"These are the little moments Rolex geeks like me live for!"

Ummm, they live for buying redials? Well, if it would have been about fleecers, not Rolex geeks, perhaps this would be true. They live to fleece people big time.

H's bad, but they're worse. Pretenders, who think that buying a camera and some video-editing software (and having the results of using said items posted on YouTube) makes them experts. I may vomit.
    Last edited by mkws; December 4th, 2017 at 22:05.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

^^^^ Hahaha, love it ^^^^
    mkws likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about this site because I decided not to bookmark it a long time ago. I just took a quick look at their listings, and virtually every watch is ruined by over-polishing. I wonder if there is a connection with a certain eBay seller from Poland.
    busmatt and mkws like this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    To be honest, I had completely forgotten about this site because I decided not to bookmark it a long time ago. I just took a quick look at their listings, and virtually every watch is ruined by over-polishing. I wonder if there is a connection with a certain eBay seller from Poland.
    Yup. They sell beyond dirt common watches at outrageous prices, usually not doing the buyers even the basic favour of identifying the movement. I tried to watch their YouTube videos, but then I had to watch some 1980s action film, one sufficiently debilitating to make me forget I've seen a T&H video.
    By the way, which eBay seller? I've seen two or three eBay sellers from Poland, offering overpolished and overpriced watches.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    By the way, which eBay seller? I've seen two or three eBay sellers from Poland, offering overpolished and overpriced watches.
    I guess I was thinking of "eantiques", although I'm sure there are others. To be fair, he has some decent watches here and there, but they are mixed in with far too many over-restored watches for my taste; it's just not worth the trouble of wading through them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information