The Price of Vintage Chronographs...
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: The Price of Vintage Chronographs...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Price of Vintage Chronographs...

are out of control. Just so crazy now, even the "cheap" ones are lipsticked and powdered. Heavy sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James A and georges zaslavsky like this.

Re: The Price of Vintage Chronographs...

And THAT is why some of us who are newer to the vintage watch collecting game have stayed away from them!!

I wish I had been into this hobby back when there were bargains aplenty to be found. :(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used to be able buy a Croton Sea Diver for $100. I had a few in the '90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    esdy_11192 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess one question is whether we are currently seeing a bubble, and prices will come back down, or whether they are just going to continue to escalate and get further and further out of reach. I would like to believe it's the former, but I'm afraid that it is the latter, so I will still buy one if I can get it at a fair market price.

What really annoys me is the price-gougers who sit with vintage chronographs on their websites with asking prices that are 3x the auction value. The prices are rising so fast that they would rather let their inventory sit for months, looking for a huge windfall, than turn over their watches at a good profit.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    What really annoys me is the price-gougers who sit with vintage chronographs on their websites with asking prices that are 3x the auction value. The prices are rising so fast that they would rather let their inventory sit for months, looking for a huge windfall, than turn over their watches at a good profit.
    This. Annoys me no end. Tired of seeing listings sit or be refreshed for months on end, waiting for unsuspecting buyers or for the crazy market to catch up.
    laikrodukas and badbackdan like this.

I guess one question is whether we are currently seeing a bubble, and prices will come back down, or whether they are just going to continue to escalate and get further and further out of reach. I would like to believe it's the former, but I'm afraid that it is the latter, so I will still buy one if I can get it at a fair market price.

You summed it up pretty well. The people who sell crappy condition items for three times their value are far worse than price gougers, they are just a bunch of dishonest crooks. The hunt for many new collectors for a nice vintage timepiece will be very very complicated and not to mention that even some not so highly ranked brands such as Nivada command a premium because also of blogs like Hoddinkee who sell crappy condition watches at an insane pricing level. This happened because of the valjoux 72 powered Rolex Daytona and because of the valjoux 72 powered Heuers rise in prices and record broken in auctions. Will it ever stop? I don't think so. Conclusion is simple, look for some very nice condition timepieces from not so well known brands featuring a nice movement or hunt on ebay , catawiki and chrono 24 and check everytime you see something interesting and try to win auctions
    badbackdan, demonfinder and Wibbs like this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by slique View Post
    This. Annoys me no end. Tired of seeing listings sit or be refreshed for months on end, waiting for unsuspecting buyers or for the crazy market to catch up.
    so true!
    Some ebay listings get recreated for years :D
    DragonDan likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Yes, it is a bubble, and yes, prices will decrease. In fact, as I have mentioned previously, it is already happening, but you won't notice if you focus only on the most obvious and desirable models. There is a bifurcation in the vintage market, and it is accelerating, which is precisely what happens in blow-off bubble tops.

Don't let it annoy you – many will get stuck with much of their stock, trying to "catch a falling knife" when the bubble bursts.
    KRSVINTAGE, badbackdan and Wibbs like this.

Hi Tony,

I do not know, if a general decreasing in prices of vintage chronographs is the truth.
    There are some signs and you are right, there are some decreasing prices of some models/brands.
    But I think (and everybody knows), that the increasing prices of the last years were abstruse and that this could not go on any further.
    Now, the prices are sometimes decreasing and sometimes stable, but I see the reason in the developement in the years before.

As a collector, I do not be afraid about a burst of a bubble.
    Sure, I have bought some watches in the last years and perhaps (because of a bubble), I have paid to much.
    But I still have some dream watches. Today, they are not affordable to me, but if the bubble burst.......

As a collector, I love my watches every day and do not think about their current value.

Best regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by KP-99; June 9th, 2017 at 14:10.

Hi Peter,

I agree with much of what you say. I remain very active in the market, and in some instances am willing to pay a premium for a watch that I really like. I won't fret when prices decline, but then I am not a dealer who needs to generate a profit, either.

What has been happening is that lesser examples, in terms of brand and/or condition, have either stabilized, or seen decreases in value. Of course those found in the most desirable genres (e.g. chronographs, vintage divers) do not lose value as rapidly as those that are less fashionable, but they will not be immune to market forces when the economic crisis, which never truly ended, unfolds again in earnest.

The beauty of what is happening now is that there are many, really excellent vintage watches that are increasingly available at very attractive prices. So, collectors who follow their own taste, rather than current fashion, have no reason to feel frustrated.

Regards,

Tony C.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information