Pricing Vintage Watches
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pricing Vintage Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pricing Vintage Watches

Hello,

I am looking into a pretty expensive Breitling watch and was wondering, how do you guys go about pricing the watch. So you know what a good price is for the watch, rather than just going off of what the seller is asking? There are so many variations and prices change every month, let alone years...So what do you guys do when researching a potential new watch??
    morningtundra likes this.

Re: Pricing Vintage Watches

Ask on WUS?
    (joking)

Sent with Tapatalk
    BrackAttack likes this.

We do our research first, select the model(s) you like and keep an eye on price an availability for a few months, in time you will be able to gauge what is a good buy.
    BrackAttack likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

best resource are completed sales on ebay if it isn't a very rare watch.
    or post valuation requests on a specialized brand forum that allows valuations

if you take the advice above, wait a few month doing research and the watch hasn't sold yet: it was way above market ;)
    Last edited by WatchFred; August 12th, 2017 at 12:50.
    BrackAttack likes this.

The pricing of a watch is not so easy.

As first, look at chrono24 if there is any as the one you would buy and look at the price and condition, and how genuine is the one for sale.

After go on ebay, look at sold item, if you find any like the one you like. If there is one, compare with the on on chrono24.

Have a look as here on the the WUS forum to have a look if anyone has sold the watch u like, and get in contact to ask him what was the real price.

After that I usually see: chrono 24 are really high price, ebay auction are really low price. So think at a price in the middle, and could be a good price
    BrackAttack likes this.

I usually just shop aroubd different site like 10:25vintage, chrono24, analogshift, ebay (in the sold area but depends on the "genuinety" and comparer what I have) etc and then round up all the prices I have and basically do an average... but it the end the price is base on what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to let it go hahaha no an easy task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BrackAttack likes this.

Time and observation. Saw a particular watch start out at $300, then drop down to $200, pounced at $100. Knew it would take about $250 to fix that particular movement and had seen them sell for $500.

As an example, one can get a complete Hamilton Electric with a 505 movement from about $75 on up for the currently less desirable Nautilus range. (They open through the front so it's harder for an amateur to change batteries). The railroad models start at $125 for acceptable condition. I check that search every day.

I also know exactly who's been buying a lot of them when I get the "just arrived" emails from a particular restorer and see something that I was watching.

That's my little niche. You can put the time and effort into your own little niche and save a few bucks, or you can pay what it's worth to you.
    BrackAttack likes this.

I think you will also learn some basic principles of comparative pricing as you watch sale after sale proceed to completion. Since you are looking at Breitling, I am going to assume you are interested in chronographs. You will eventually get a sense of the premium that you will pay for a 3-subdial vs a similar 2-subdial chronograph, a column-wheel versus a cam-actuated movement, solid metal vs. plated, 38mm vs. 35mm case diameter, panda vs. monochromatic dial, top-tier vs. mid-tier brand vs. no-name, etc. That will help you do comparative price analyses as opposed to having to find the exact same watch to compare. Yes, some specific variations/models are special, but for the most part there are basic pricing principles that you can learn.

Edit: It goes without saying that you also need to learn how to adjust prices for variations in condition/originality (and to identify issues of condition/originality). Frankly, this is the hardest part.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 16th, 2017 at 05:43.
    KP-99 and BrackAttack like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by seikholic094 View Post
    I usually just shop aroubd different site like 10:25vintage, chrono24, analogshift, ebay (in the sold area but depends on the "genuinety" and comparer what I have) etc and then round up all the prices I have and basically do an average... but it the end the price is base on what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to let it go hahaha no an easy task

Wow just red my comment again and outch.. sorry for being NOT clear at all haha, so I second what the others guys are saying.. compare models, type of movement vs another, dials, general conditions, how rare the watch is and its demand, subdials, production year and limited edition models, hands vs writing between model (specially on Rolex) basically pay attention to details. Uses forums like vintagerolex forums, watchuseek.. anyway hope it helps!

BrackAttack likes this.

Look at auction catalogs, look at eBay listings, look at forum sales
    If you are purchasing from a reputable dealer, take into consideration the premium attached to their reputation and reliability.
    For auction prices, take into consideration the usual 20% buyer premium.
    Take into account all these factors and after that, the amount YOU would be willing to pay for the watch.
    BrackAttack likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information