PRIMA

Thread: PRIMA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PRIMA

can anyone tell me anything about my pocket watch please, the makers stamp is BB, the hallmark is 3 sheaves of corn i think Chester, the date letters are ff, and it as a 9 and 375 stamp as well, on the front it is called PRIMA, it also has PRIMA on the inside,it says 17 jewels, Swiss Made , I found a link that says the Benson brothers of Liverpool registered watch case 1927, this watch was a Present for 40 years service in 1933. This is my very first post so sorry if i got anything wrong and many thanks for reading, steve. p.s it also has the numbers 9 4 0 3 , stamped below the other hallmarks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by stey; December 31st, 2011 at 14:34.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: PRIMA

You have a very nice pocket watch there - probably new when it was given in 1933. The maker could be one of a number of Primas. The movement looks rather like something by Cyma, but I could be wrong there (sometimes, different makers' movements resemble each other and I am not aware of either a link between Cyma and one of the Primas or of Cyma movements generally found in watches by other makers):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Cyma 19'''B

Hartmut Richter

Quick addition: the snail cam fine adjustment is one frequently used by Zenith but also by other makers (Ulysse Nardin) - not that this implies a link between Prima and one of these makers.....
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; December 31st, 2011 at 20:09.

thank you for taking the time to reply , i can see some similarity to the one you said , but to be honest im new to the forums its my first and only pocket watch and a lot of others seem to have something similar, i just hope someone sees it and knows a bit about it , do you think its just an average watch, like i said i know nothing about them , again many thanks for your time

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

RARE WWI Military Enamel CYMA PRIMA Watch 24 H REF. 234 | Cyma Watches Hello i just found this on the internet it does show a link between Cyma AND Prima , at least both names on that watch , regards steve.

Oh good! That suggests that the watch may well have been made by Cyma after all. In any case, it is definitely an above average sort of watch. Not in the Patek Philippe league, by any means, but it has all the hallmarks of a precision watch: snail cam regulator, Breguet hairspring, temperature compensation screws on the balance, presumably also a bimetallic split balance, jewels in chatons.....

Hartmut Richter

i will have to look up everything you said because it all double dutch to me , but can i assume its at least a decent watch , thanks steve

"Prima" was,among some others,subbrand of "Marvin Watch Co.",Fils de H.A.Didisheim from La Chaux de Fonds.Rgds!
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

hi thanks for the info,so you think it more connected to marvin than to cyma, i will do a bit of reading on what you say , if you know anymore i would be gratefull, thanks for taking the time to reply , steve.

The trouble is that there were several Primas and it's difficult to know which one we are talking about. If you want a wider ranging list, look here:

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

Hartmut Richter

a lot of Primas hartmut , looks like i will never know the true origin , steve. also i found out ff is 1931 chester hallmark
    Last edited by stey; January 2nd, 2012 at 22:55.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information