Private signed dials - why no longer done?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Private signed dials - why no longer done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Private signed dials - why no longer done?

Tiffany & Co.. Serpico y Laino. Cuervo y Sobrinos. Turler. Meister. Gubelin...

You can’t just print Tiffany’s name on a handbag and call it special. But guess what... write it on a watch dial and suddenly it’s a Tiffany-signed Patek, a level apart from all other Pateks. To me, this looks like an incredibly cost-efficient way to make a limited edition. Plus, it’ll bring back a beloved watch tradition where jewelers and even companies, armies, and royal families could request their logo on a prestigious watch. (There are Domino’s signed Rolex out there) Why has this practice all but stopped?

I did read that Patek brought back a few Tiffany signed dials in 2013 and you could request some models to be stamped. But Rolex and Omega no longer does this, to my knowledge.

Re: Private signed dials - why no longer done?

I commissioned this custom dial in honor of my mother from forum sponsor Undone Watches.

Bunch of us BSHT ordered these custom gilt from NTH

Name:  169C2B38-A57C-4F08-9577-E150EE3A9CF4.jpeg
Views: 119
Size:  1.19 MB

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I believe it’s primarily not done any more because in the past, the jewellers name was more important to watch buyers than the watch makers. The trust and the cachet was in the jewellers name. Gradually over the last eighty odd years this eroded to the point where few are going to buy a Rolex because it has a jewellers name on it.

Of course there is always the point that it was Rolex who were one of the first Swiss matchmakers to successfully get their name on the dial, so maybe they don’t like the practice anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In this day and age, who benefits most from a co-signed dial? The seller or the buyer? Certainly not the manufacturer. You can buy a Rolex at Costco... would you pay more or less for a Costco dial?

Award and celebration watches are different and there are still ways to get these done aftermarket.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    In this day and age, who benefits most from a co-signed dial? The seller or the buyer? Certainly not the manufacturer. You can buy a Rolex at Costco... would you pay more or less for a Costco dial?

Award and celebration watches are different and there are still ways to get these done aftermarket.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    Not every place that sells watches need to put their names on the dial. Just the historic and famous ones, like Wempe. And it’ll likely be limited printings. Who knows what vintage collecting will be like in 50 years, but I bet they’ll pay more for something special, even if Costco signed it.

Personally I miss even more the times when there was nothing written on the dial ;)

When you think of it, most watches made before 1900, even high grade, had nothing but time on their enamel dials. This is so elegant and discrete IMHO. Nothing to show off, quality kept hidden like a secret for connoisseurs... I think people started to give importance to a "brand" rather than a particular watchmaker or retailer with the advent of the American industry, which produced everything inside the same building. With their agressive marketing, they succeeded making most people believe that in-house machine made products are more desirable. This is still very prevalent today, with a lot of companies boasting they are "manufactures" or that they use silicium or other crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonhao View Post
    . . . . Why has this practice all but stopped? . . . .
    Your initial premise is false.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Your initial premise is false.
    Patek & Tiffany are the only big brands that continue the practice. Rolex and Omega no longer does it.

Quote Originally Posted by 707mm2 View Post
    Personally I miss even more the times when there was nothing written on the dial ;)

When you think of it, most watches made before 1900, even high grade, had nothing but time on their enamel dials. This is so elegant and discrete IMHO. Nothing to show off, quality kept hidden like a secret for connoisseurs... I think people started to give importance to a "brand" rather than a particular watchmaker or retailer with the advent of the American industry, which produced everything inside the same building. With their agressive marketing, they succeeded making most people believe that in-house machine made products are more desirable. This is still very prevalent today, with a lot of companies boasting they are "manufactures" or that they use silicium or other crap.
    Sterility on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Tonhao View Post
    Patek & Tiffany . .
    There's the flaw in your original premise. You didn't limit it to only premium brands.
    Chascomm likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information