problem with an old Tissot, not sure how serious..

Thread: problem with an old Tissot, not sure how serious..

problem with an old Tissot, not sure how serious..

Hi - I recently acquired a 1970 Tissot Seastar auto that looks very nice and is probably worth putting a few extra dollars into but it's got a problem that maybe some of you more experienced wrists may have seen before. It winds nicely and once running the seconds tick off in perfect time, but the minute hand does not move in proper sync. It seems to behave different at different parts of the dial but it only moves on average about 6 minutes for every 10 revs of the second hand. Is this just indicative of a dirty or poorly lubed movement or does it sound like something broken inside? I'm hoping a standard servicing will bring it back to proper life but maybe somebody has an idea what I'm up against?

lvt

Re: problem with an old Tissot, not sure how serious..

It might be oil gumming up, I would suggest servicing, if some parts need to replace the watchmaker will let you know for sure.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

As above....it's a 40 year old watch probably still running on it's original oil, so a good service will hopefully rectify things?!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wassil View Post
    Hi - I recently acquired a 1970 Tissot Seastar auto that looks very nice and is probably worth putting a few extra dollars into but it's got a problem that maybe some of you more experienced wrists may have seen before. It winds nicely and once running the seconds tick off in perfect time, but the minute hand does not move in proper sync. It seems to behave different at different parts of the dial but it only moves on average about 6 minutes for every 10 revs of the second hand. Is this just indicative of a dirty or poorly lubed movement or does it sound like something broken inside? I'm hoping a standard servicing will bring it back to proper life but maybe somebody has an idea what I'm up against?
    Yes, a service should put the movement in good condition again. Do you have any pictures of the Seastar? If so post them.

Not sure about this movement specifically, but in general the second hand and the minute hand are both being driven off the main gear train; the main difference is that the minute hand is attached to a "canon pinion", which is then attached to the center wheel. The canon pinion is designed to "slip" under pressure (this is what lets you set the time). So to me, if the second hand is working correctly, it sounds like the canon pinion is slipping excessively. That would normally be caused by excessive wear, which doesn't bode well, but it might be possible for your watchmaker to simply tighten the canon pinion a bit.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Off Topic post Re: problem with an old Tissot, not sure how serious..

it is one of the most popular problem with vintage watches...a loose cannon pinion...the watchmaker will use a cannon pinion tightener to fix the problem...

Thanks for the info guys...here's the watch in question:

Nice funky Tissot from the 1970's. I like the Seastar logo at dial bottom.

Thread Information