Purists, cover your eyes!

Thread: Purists, cover your eyes!

Purists, cover your eyes!

I have been looking for one of these for a while and finally located one at a local Tissot AD: A Tissot pocket watch in stainless steel. Yes, it proudly says "quartz," and I don't care. I wanted SS and this appears to be the only one available. Every other Tissot montre de poche I can locate is either made of solid precious metal (and therefore expensive) or is gold- or rhodium-plated brass (and therefore subject to wear-through). So I bought it. So here it is. Snipe away, puristos!

Re: Purists, cover your eyes!

We got over our purist tendencies when Ernie re-named this forum Vintage and Pocket Watches. At that point we knew that any pocket watch could and would be discussed here - old or new.
    Tissot is a fine brand and you know that you'll be getting something that is trouble free and has a warranty - can't say that for most of the pocket watches we see in here.
    Certainly it's a a watch you can safely wear any time you want. Now all you need is a three piece suit to go with it.
    Quartz never bothers me as most of my everyday stuff is quartz. The only mechanicals I have date from 1950 or earlier.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I've got the three-piece suit, which I wear once a blue moon; I usually carry my pocket watch in my right-hand pants pocket (trying to remember not to drop my car keys in with it!) , or, with jeans or slacks that have watch pockets, in the watch pocket. I have one small pocket watch that came with a leather pouch that clips around your belt, but I find it inconvenient and seldom use it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WX1

Ah ha! Heh. OK, since asked (and since I DO own the rhodium mechanical Savonettes Tissot pocket watch and the stainless steel version as well, I'll reply here) . . . first of all, it looks nice. Honestly. Love those Roman numerals which the rhodium Tissot that I own doesn't have (has Arabic).

For my tastes, if there's ONE watch form that should keep the whole mechanical (indeed, wind-up) rendition of watch movements it's, you guessed it, pocket watches.

2ndly . . . the ONE thing I love about my pocket watches (I have three) is that they don't include a date window. Adds to the whole classic/antique-ness about them, to me.

Lastly . . . I don't think you need to wear ANY kind of suit to carry around a pocket watch. I think THE coolest thing is to wear, say, an aloha shirt with a pocket watch and chain in the front pocket of that shirt. Great contrast and compliment to each other.

And that's all I have for now.

My brother-in-law wears a pocket watch every day... he won't wear a wrist watch. It's quartz.

I told my sister-in-law I would get him a good vintage but she said don't bother. If you have to wind it he won't wear it. "Watches should tell time accurately and not be a bother to use"...

Some folks love quartz... (I love 'em all!)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    My brother-in-law wears a pocket watch every day... he won't wear a wrist watch. It's quartz.

I told my sister-in-law I would get him a good vintage but she said don't bother. If you have to wind it he won't wear it. "Watches should tell time accurately and not be a bother to use"...

Some folks love quartz... (I love 'em all!)
    I wore only a pocket-watch for about 15 years. It was a generic Swiss quartz in a plated case. It was just a practical tool for me. As a draftsman, I needed my wrists clean of anything that might scratch the film. And outside of work, I liked not having to take my watch off before doing something messy or risky.

Then I got another pocket watch fixed up (a Soviet movement in a Hong Kong case, bought in 1985) because I fancied a hunter case for a change. After that, the collecting bug bit :oops:

Now I have 29 watches on rotation including 3 pocket watches. The quartz PW is now used by my children.

I love 'em and collect 'em but I never wear a pocket watch any more. All of mine are century old antiques that wouldn't enjoy the rough and tumble of daily life. No shockproofing , no dustproofing, no water resistance.
    Also I have pockets full of big clunky keys that would scratch them up.
    So mine stay at home, resting on little pillows in a wooden case. Not a bad life when you are 125 years old though.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by WX1 View Post
    Ah ha! Heh. OK, since asked (and since I DO own the rhodium mechanical Savonettes Tissot pocket watch and the stainless steel version as well, I'll reply here) . . . first of all, it looks nice. Honestly. Love those Roman numerals which the rhodium Tissot that I own doesn't have (has Arabic).

For my tastes, if there's ONE watch form that should keep the whole mechanical (indeed, wind-up) rendition of watch movements it's, you guessed it, pocket watches.

2ndly . . . the ONE thing I love about my pocket watches (I have three) is that they don't include a date window. Adds to the whole classic/antique-ness about them, to me.

Lastly . . . I don't think you need to wear ANY kind of suit to carry around a pocket watch. I think THE coolest thing is to wear, say, an aloha shirt with a pocket watch and chain in the front pocket of that shirt. Great contrast and compliment to each other.

And that's all I have for now.
    I hadn't thought about carrying a pocket watch in an aloha shirt pocket - I'm going to try it, because I wear aloha shirts a lot. Thanks for the idea!

Thread Information