PW Servicing questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DragonDan

Thread: PW Servicing questions

PW Servicing questions

Gentlemen,

I just recently acquired an old Ottoman Pocket watch. It runs about 22 hrs on full wind or so and is rushing about 2-5 minutes. I was told it was cleaned and oiled within 2 months.

If this information is accurate, what should I expect to pay on average NY fee for adjusting the time and a basic (assuming it is basic) maintenance check?

if I decide to let it go and live with the rushing, will I be damaging the watch in any way?

Any ballparks?

Thank you,
    David

Re: PW Servicing questions

Pocket watches, on average, run for about 28-32 hours by design (you want them to run long enough so that you only have to wind them once a day). If yours only runs 22, that suggests that the mainspring is weak and needs to be replaced. A weak mainspring may also explain the time difference; the rate of the watch increases if the balance amplitude is weak. Not a huge deal, but it requires at least partial disassembly, and most responsible watchmakers will insist on doing a full clean at that point (because otherwise if it stops working after they give it back, they'll likely get blamed anyway).

Remember that you're paying for the expertise of the watchmaker, and you get what you pay for. You can probably find someone willing to do it for $50, but chances are they're not going to do a good job, and you risk superficial damage to the plates and poor quality oils at the least.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you so very much.

David

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I asked a similar question regarding a Ball pocketwatch. I found Renaissance Watch Repair who seemed rather helpful. My watch would require a full tear-down, so I can't quite afford it yet, but I'd feel safe sending it to him.

General rule of thumb is that if you don't know the service history, then you should get it serviced. Some people, myself included, feel that you are merely a conservator of watches, and should do what you can to ensure their survival.
    jsw41 likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thread Information