Q?? LeCoultre 14k vintage watch DATE?

Thread: Q?? LeCoultre 14k vintage watch DATE?

Q?? LeCoultre 14k vintage watch DATE?

I picked this up recently and was wondering if anyone out there might have and idea as to age? Its is solid 14K... Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Q?? LeCoultre 14k vintage watch DATE?

Well, a guess... I think it is a front loader, if so, the '60s or '50s. Front loaders require an acrylic crystal and they are mostly post WWII.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It sorta looks like it might be one of the types where the case body seperates from the bezel/lugs. At that point, the crystal can be lifted off the body (like a lid), and a dial spacer removed. The stem will be a two-piece stem, but you should be able to turn the crown to align the split in the stem vertically, which allows the movment to come out.

The patent for that style of case was registered in 1940 in Switzerland (1941 in the US).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Well, a guess... I think it is a front loader, if so, the '60s or '50s. Front loaders require an acrylic crystal and they are mostly post WWII.
    excuse my ignorance but by front loader, do you mean the dial and movement can only be accessed by breaking the the front crystal? if so, this one actually opens from the back and the dial and movement sit in the caseback. let me know if that helps as to dating it... thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    It sorta looks like it might be one of the types where the case body seperates from the bezel/lugs. At that point, the crystal can be lifted off the body (like a lid), and a dial spacer removed. The stem will be a two-piece stem, but you should be able to turn the crown to align the split in the stem vertically, which allows the movment to come out.

The patent for that style of case was registered in 1940 in Switzerland (1941 in the US).
    the back opens, and then there are two sections... 1. the crystal plus bezel lid and 2. the case back which still holds the dial, movement and stem. so, the movement itself is still hidden

Hmm...I'd like to see a picture of that, if you could.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

ARGH! I would provide a picture but I had to ship it out today. sold fast. I just keep a photo record of everything I sell and I wanted to know more about it for my own learning curve. I love them, but I often buy to resell.

Banned

I would guess it is from the 60's. The font looks very 60's to me.

Why ask us if it's an existing company? I've found that most companies will answer a polite email with at least date information. Some companies that represent resurrected brands simply don't have the information but that's a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AccuJohn View Post
    excuse my ignorance but by front loader, do you mean the dial and movement can only be accessed by breaking the the front crystal? if so, this one actually opens from the back and the dial and movement sit in the caseback. let me know if that helps as to dating it... thank you
    How unique! I have never seen such. JLCs are always 'classic' in their design so it is difficult to date them from their looks.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information