Quality differences in multicolor gold p.w. cases.

Thread: Quality differences in multicolor gold p.w. cases.

Quality differences in multicolor gold p.w. cases.

There were millions of mc gold and gold fill watches made 1900+&-15 years. Most serious collectors of watches are not much interested in these that commonly do not have very special movements as originally bought. So quality differences of refinement, craft and art are not well recognized. I have accumulated a few over many years. The 8 size example (bunch of flowers) is the oldest case here, marked as Waltham only, but I believe made by Jeannot and Schiebler 1884? maybe the first to do mc cases of highest quality in U.S. No mass produced ready-made gold bits used on this one. The 18 size M&F Co. (showing both sides) is close second for quality. Others are typical. Starting clockwise 12s, unfinished example of a modern engraver, 18s,
    8s, 6s, 16s. A local acquaintance, the gun engraver, is fascinated with the old case work. His modern skills are as good or better than the old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 18th, 2010 at 08:11.

Re: Quality differences in multicolor gold p.w. cases.

I've actually found multi-color cases like that to be very popular amongst pocket watch collectors, particularly when paired with good movements.

Re: Quality differences in multicolor gold p.w. cases.

Not ignored or unappreciated, but little discussion about design, construction and quality details, or active trading with the mc cases; like goes on with p.w. details. Not an acquisition priority with collectors I know, and secondary interest for me actually. Relative bargains available now because of gold value discouragement.

Thread Information