Quartz watch need p. m.?

Thread: Quartz watch need p. m.?

Quartz watch need p. m.?

Quite a good posting in Omega Forum recently about preventive maintenance need for mechanicals. How about for complex quartz movements, and the better quality jeweled ones you might want to keep indefinitely, for p. m. service? I am thinking only to keep clean and dry and free of corrosion?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Quartz watch need p. m.?

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Quite a good posting in Omega Forum recently about preventive maintenance need for mechanicals. How about for complex quartz movements, and the better quality jeweled ones you might want to keep indefinitely, for p. m. service? I am thinking only to keep clean and dry and free of corrosion?
    The stresses placed on the gear train of a quartz watch are far less than those placed on a mechanical gear train (due to the constant side force which mechanicals experience). So the problem is less and, if the movement is jeweled (7 is usually the norm for non-chrono 'highly jeweled' movements) then so much the better.

I only service quartz watches when they exhibit actual problems.

But if not in use they should be stored with the battery removed due to the risk of battery induced corrosion.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Other than the gaskets, I would look at them on a "as-needed" basis.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Battery removal in the quartz watch seems like the logical thing to do in unused ones. I never have done so with about 50 of these. Most have the 277 common size battery which are available from internet sources at 59 cents for 10 or more. So I put in fresh battery and pull stem to shut off. Never saw a corroded watch battery. 5 year working life in some, but in a keeper I will henceforth remove. In general, do these modern batteries leak and cause corrosion?

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    ... In general, do these modern batteries leak and cause corrosion?
    I would hope the leakage would be less than in years past. My watchmaker swears by Energizer, claiming he has never found one that leaks.

For my own collection, every year or two I go through and replace all the dead batteries. Buying ofrei's watchmaker battery collection was very cost effective but it is a bit short in some of the larger batteries used in vintage quartz (my main emphasis in quartz).
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information