A question about fixing my watch

Thread: A question about fixing my watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A question about fixing my watch

Hello there
    I have a vintage 60's hand-wind watch I got from a family member. After having it cleaned and oiled it worked very accurately for me for a long time.

To make things short, one of its lugs is broken when a watchman tried to place a new band for it.

By size its normal size for the era. I tried talking to few watch stores about having a new case for it, and they say, they can not buy one, they say there are none to buy. Only to try and find other cases of broken watches, try to see if it fits and such.

Do you know if indeed a watch case isn't something that could be bought new, giving the diameter and thickness of a watch?

Re: A question about fixing my watch

Hi and welcome.

You would think so, wouldn't you? However, there are also minute differences in where the winding stem goes, how the movement attaches to the case, how the dial sits, whether the case back would catch the balance wheel, etc. However, if the exact movement is known then it is sometimes possible to find a donor case.

Do you have any pictures of your watch?
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned

If the fracture line is nice and clean,maybe you can have it soldered back?
    Is it Stainless steel?

I think I would change watch maker. I have watches from the 40ies and onwards, changed many straps, but never managed to bend or break a lug.
    Wonder what tool he used.
    Last edited by Janne; March 20th, 2010 at 21:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcoming

The watch is Sully Special, swiss made. I don't have pictures of it as I chose not to take any as one lug is broken, and didn't take a picture when it wasn't.

Many thanks however for explaining why it would not be easy to find a case.

One question tho - is it true that there are no new made generic type cases by diameter and thickness, because of the differences you listed?

Janne - the watch already had wear marks on it, places of corrosion. Also, the lugs are very very thin in comparison to watches I have today, one of them is classic looking but having larger, notably, lugs.

I do not exclude the possibility the watchman applied too much pressure by being used for decades for current watches, but I do not take it to heart and I don't place blame on him, what's done is done.

About soldering it back: I kept the lug in a small nylon bag with the watch. I went to few jewelers and they said it can't be soldered back. After that I lost the lug itself too - fell from the bag.

Broken lugs can often be repaired. A good jeweler who actually makes jewelry can give you an opinion.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

There have been a number of posts about Sully Specials in here.

Some have had A Schild movements, some Eta movements, and some Felsa movements. If yours has a Felsa 1560 movement, which seems the commonest, then there are quite a few watches about with that movement. e.g.:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEN-RARE-ALLAD...item1c10b4218d

ideally you would want one that was 'spares or repair' so that you weren't paying for a working watch.

Is it gold plated or stainless steel? And what country are you in?

The watch back is stainless steel, says so on the back and it doesn't have corrosion. but the rest of the case got green spots of corrosion on it and i can therefor say it isn't all stainless steel. surely its not gold.

I live in Israel.

Another thing is that I wish there would be new, generic and clean, no writing or marks on the back case, so it wouldn't be some frankenstein watch with mix of sully special in the front and, i have no idea, some other brand name written into the back of the watch, should I try to find a donor case. That's why I ask if there are new ones to buy (or if noone makes them because of the minute differences you mentioned).

I doubt whether you'll find a new generic one. Remember, you are looking for a case for an obsolete movement. You must identify the movement, and then search ebay for a watch that takes the same calibre with a case in good condition. For example, here is a Sully with a Felsa 1560 movement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Goldplated-Sully-25-Jewel-Automatic-Wristwatch_W0QQitemZ330415990422QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=i tem4cee53e696

But if you find a case with another name on the dial, then your Sully caseback might well fit it. Sorry nobody has been able to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information