Question about hallmark on inside of case

Thread: Question about hallmark on inside of case

Question about hallmark on inside of case

Is this watch's case made of 14kt gold or is it 14kt gold-filled?Name:  wittnauer.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  44.8 KB

Re: Question about hallmark on inside of case

By the hallmark-it should be 14k or 54.5% gold but it sure doesn't look like white gold. unless the colour shifted in your camera drastically. also-there is something odd about the mark before the 14k. maybe i just can't read it but it doesn't appear like an u.s. assay mark. the watch was cased in the u.s. which was not unusual for its time.

anyway-see if you can decipher the logo or whatever it says b4 the 14k. normally anything less then 10k gold is marked either as: 14k GP, 14k rg, sometimes from Swiss cases: 10/20/30 microns (thickness of plate) not convinced its a gold case yet tho on the surface it should be. most of my Swiss watches that were cased in the US in 75.0 or 54.5 simply state that: 18k or 14k
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Could that mark be for the (Aaron) Kamion (NY) Watch Case Co.?

Looks genuine to me, with all those service marks it was well thought of/looked after.
    Although it was not unknown for there to be fake gold cases with fake marks, this doesn't look like one to me.

Cheers, Bob.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    By the hallmark-it should be 14k or 54.5% gold but it sure doesn't look like white gold. unless the colour shifted in your camera drastically. also-there is something odd about the mark before the 14k. maybe i just can't read it but it doesn't appear like an u.s. assay mark. the watch was cased in the u.s. which was not unusual for its time.
    It was absolutely cased in North America. Most likely USA. 14K gold is 14/24 pure or at least 58.5%. I've seen some older European hallmarks for 14K at 60%. Probably just rounding.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Could that mark be for the (Aaron) Kamion (NY) Watch Case Co.?
    Nope, K&E stands for Kaspar & Esh of New York. This company history discusses the relationship with Longines-Wittnauer.

K&E History - Kaspar&Esh

This is the US importer of Wittnauer, Longines, LeCoultre and Vacheron & Constantin. It was independent from all of the aforementioned watch factories in Switzerland.

In fact, it seems that K&E had some equity in Longines-Wittnauer from the 1930's until sometime after WWII.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; July 17th, 2016 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    It was absolutely cased in North America. Most likely USA. 14K gold is 14/24 pure or at least 58.5%. I've seen some older European hallmarks for 14K at 60%. Probably just rounding.

Nope, K&E stands for Kaspar & Esh of New York. This company history discusses the relationship with Longines-Wittnauer.

K&E History - Kaspar&Esh

This is the US importer of Wittnauer, Longines, LeCoultre and Vacheron & Constantin. It was independent from all of the aforementioned watch factories in Switzerland.

In fact, it seems that K&E had some equity in Longines-Wittnauer from the 1930's until sometime after WWII.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thank you for the help. Very cool. I didn't know about this company.

Thread Information