• 2 Post By Molliedooker
  • 3 Post By Hessu
  • 2 Post By busmatt
  • 3 Post By knownothing
  • 1 Post By Hessu
  • 1 Post By joeuk

Thread: Question about Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000

Question about Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000

Picked this up off Ebay and the seller described it as missing the bezel so there wasn't much interest in it and I ended up winning it. It's 38mm w/o the crown and the top ring with the lugs comes apart from the case and dial so there are two pieces. I'm confused about how these are supposed to be connected? Is there a missing bezel or is there maybe a ring that holds the two pieces together? Glue?

I can't figure out how to get to the movement but I would assume a special wrench is required? The dial has a nice patina but the crystal is beat up and the watch doesn't run so I will take it in for service. I'm just curious what holds the two pieces together and is there something other than a gasket missing?

Thanks for any help.

Name:  IMG_1636.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  109.6 KBName:  IMG_1635.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_1632.JPG
Views: 556
Size:  105.0 KBName:  IMG_1634.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  83.5 KBName:  IMG_1633.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  92.1 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Question about Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000

Ref. ST 161.0128, introduced in 1972, cal. 1012. The OVD lists only a goldcap variant (CD 161.0128), but a short search in Google Images shows up the same watch as yours.

The OVD states that the case back is a press-in, but since it can't be opened up easily, I'd say that it's a press-in compressor case. Which requires a different tool indeed.
    mmarc77 and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I looked at bidding on A cosmic 2000 last year until I discovered that access to the movement is via the front and one needs a special "Omega" crystal lifter.
    I have a few of front loader Roamers as well as a Tissot Regate all of which are two piece. On three of the Roamers the two pieces fit together under firm finger pressure and they stay there .On one Roamer the two pieces were held together by sealant .On my Tissot I am am bewildered as to why they will not stay together as they have only been separated once.
    mmarc77 and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This model of Cosmic 2000 is 166.130. The other is 166.128. The difference is in shape of lugs. Both made in steel and gold cap. 166.130 also has a 14k case listed. Single calender with Omega 1012 and doublecalender Omega 1020.

Name:  PC032736.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  P4103116.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  P4043107.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  P4163143.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  65.9 KB
    Last edited by Hessu; March 1st, 2016 at 06:21.
    mmarc77, busmatt and Molliedooker like this.

I was under the impression that these cases are separated by removing the crown and blowing air into the stem tube

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    Molliedooker and mmarc77 like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

[QUOTE=busmatt;26458698]I was under the impression that these cases are separated by removing the crown and blowing air into the stem tube

They do indeed open by removing the crown and blowing air into them. Mine (166.130) I had to use a compressor and 10 bar to get it to open. I used a vice and some pieces of wood to support the midcase so I could open the back slightly and then "blow" the crystal out.

And as to how the two case pieces are held together is via an o'ring; there is no bezel. If you look closely at the mid case you will notice a small groove. This is where the o'ring sits. Essentially the two are linked via a friction fitting.

On mine the o'ring has a diameter of 0.75mm and an outside circumference of 34.20mm. I've looked around to get a replacement but Cousins doesn't list it so I'm going to use the existing one even though it is a bit chewed up.

Thanks
    Molliedooker, busmatt and mmarc77 like this.

No, case is not be opened by air. You need Bergeon 6173 (heavy duty glass fitting press) and a lot of power. Sometimes the case has not been open since 70's and it is like superglued. Also there may be knocks on bezel and it makes opening more hard.

About case numbers, also 166.131 was used (no visible alterings to 166.130).
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Hello! It's VERY difficult to 'imagine' that Omega would allow air to be blown into one of their watches: talk about moisture/ dust / etc. attacking the movement...there must be a tool that opens this case!! The hairspring would really hate it, too, yes?!

The air ok to do Al of Archer a well known watch repair guy on the omega forum would tell you he does it this way, but you can also use a crystal lift.
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information