Question about people purchasing vintage Swiss watches on ebay.
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Apollonaught
  • 4 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By Apollonaught
  • 1 Post By laikrodukas
  • 2 Post By jackruff
  • 6 Post By Emre
  • 3 Post By Habitant

Thread: Question about people purchasing vintage Swiss watches on ebay.

Question about people purchasing vintage Swiss watches on ebay.

I recently made a few attempts purchasing old (20's-40's) swiss watches on ebay (the sort of middling stuff the usually sell for between $30 to $140. Not surprised I didn't win, (I bid too low).
    But what was surprising is that when I click on the winner, most information is kept anonymous. However, it does show how many items the winner has bid on recently and on what type of items.

What I noticed was that alot the people buying up these old swiss watches make maybe 30-50 bids a day and might have active bids in the triple digits running all within the jewellery/watch categories (not sure if these are all old swiss watches though).

Who are these people? I assume some are here.

Are they trying to start their own watch business?
    Do they believe watches are a good long term investment? I've heard much to the contrary unless you are buying really high end stuff.
    Xtreme Hobbyist?
    Or are they all OCD ebay auction addicts?

Re: Question about people purchasing vintage Swiss watches on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWanderer View Post

Are they trying to start their own watch business?
    I think business is the key word here,i have been outbid by these people scores of times and i tend to think they are dealers who know or are freindly with a watch maker,they buy just about anything vintage and swiss get thier watch maker to clean,oil,adjust and then flip them back on the bay at 5 times what they paid for them.
    SilkeN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    I think business is the key word here,i have been outbid by these people scores of times and i tend to think they are dealers who know or are freindly with a watch maker,they buy just about anything vintage and swiss get thier watch maker to clean,oil,adjust and then flip them back on the bay at 5 times what they paid for them.
    I suspect some of this is true. I do know one of the largest users of redial services are eBay flippers. As to the level of servicing... well I suspect it is a bit of an overstatement to say it is a full service. But they always get a polish ... greenies like them shiny.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I suspect some of this is true. I do know one of the largest users of redial services are eBay flippers. As to the level of servicing... well I suspect it is a bit of an overstatement to say it is a full service. But they always get a polish ... greenies like them shiny.
    One thing that is a 100% true is that my own personal collection would be a lot broader if these people did their shopping some where else.(ha ha)
    busmatt likes this.

Not everyone does business
    Well I myself sometimes have 50 active items I bid on. I do no business and 99.9% of those items end up in "Didn't win" list because they end overpriced :)
    busmatt likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Not everyone does business
    Well I myself sometimes have 50 active items I bid on. I do no business and 99.9% of those items end up in "Didn't win" list because they end overpriced :)
    Damn we gotta stop bidding on the same crap.....I keep losing too...!!
    Last edited by jackruff; October 2nd, 2014 at 13:17.
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Some bid just to keep track of the auction end price, because they haven't purged their watch/ended folder. I am guilty of this sometimes.

Tracking end prices, saving pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWanderer View Post

Who are these people? I assume some are here.
    Yes WE are here.

We are glycinians, swissophils, tovarishists, omegod prayers, roamers, breguet spirals, no jewels to 49 jewels hunters,shock resisting old-timers, time recorders from water-proof times,mechanical purists, in-house snobs, junk accumulators, vintage strap hunters,buckle collectors, compulsive list makers, newbies, newbie bashers, quartz pragmatists, ETA apologists, beaten RolexRolexRolexRolex owners, serial flippers, search non-users, horological historians, heritage guards,secret keepers,seiko freaks,landeron landers,valjouxxx wanderers,angelusian kelek admirers and breitling heuer buren dubois depraz family members.

We all bid :)

If I bid I often bid in this section or a very little bit more. I never made such a number of bids but I like to keep my accound private. I know a lot collecting guys who do so. Of course you can't hid your electronic path but I personally dislike to be a open book. I post a bay catch here and it takes 15 minutes or less to every curious one with a few serendipity knows where and when I bid and can follow me. Crazy - I'm the only person who goes on my handbag, read my letters and I don't use plastic customers discountcards. The reason isn't that you've to hide something - just a illusion of a private hobby. I like to share joy, discus watches but I'll be the active person who present her private stuff.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

It's hard to know exactly what sort of auctions you're watching, but there are a couple of points not really touched upon here. First of all, in my own opinion, you should never bid on an item which is offered as a 'private sale.' Why? That brings me to my second point, namely that there's a fair amount of fraud widespread on eBay. There are sellers with multiple accounts who (sometimes in cahoots with their pals, sometimes not) do what is known as 'shill bids,' which are false bids intended to drive the price up. My point about private auctions is that when you don't even know the masked name of a bidder (in the normal eBay way), then there's a really good chance that the seller is heavily into this deceit and is simply 'bidding you up'.

Later thought to this: if someone can explain to me why eBay fuels this (?????), or why anyone feels they need a second layer of anonymity to buy or sell an item, I'd love to hear the reason. Thoughts?

Be careful out there, there may be people here on the forum bidding against you, all good-natured fun, and then there may be less good-natured fun out there. And yes, of course there are plenty of dealers looking for bargains, watches to flip. But I suspect the glory days of eBay are over now, things are relatively stable and little escapes the watching eyes of the WUS gang, so there is the occasional bargain, but once you factor in the cost of repairs and items bid up by naive newbies, eBay is a tough place to make money out of.

But keep your eyes open and your finger poised on the 'Bid' button–and above all, good luck!
    Last edited by Habitant; October 3rd, 2014 at 11:02.
    bobbee, Shum and Wibbs like this.

Thread Information