Question about this Seamaster

Thread: Question about this Seamaster

Question about this Seamaster

Just surfing around ebay and saw this Seamaster. I'm not planing on buying a watch just yet, but Ive been trying to search around to see what's out there and to see if I can spot legit vs. non legit watches.

OMEGA SEAMASTER Automatic Date Men Classic 60's - eBay (item 170644128935 end time May-27-11 21:32:07 PDT)

While I know it is a redial, I was wondering if having "calendar" spelled out on the dial under "Seamaster" is accurate for any vintage seamaster watches. In my extremely limited time looking I have not seen this and frankly, the redial looks pretty decent notwithstanding the "calendar"

Also, I was wondering if the movement looked legitimate, I am learning to spot issues with dials etc., but still dont know much on what to look for with movements. Thanks!

Re: Question about this Seamaster

Hi there...

I have seen a few with calendar on the dial... quick google search came up with another WUS thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...0-a-20431.html

As for the movement... I am unsure... it does not look right to me! The Rotor looks like its off a 5XX auto from the 60s. But the simple omega logo without cal number under, does not fill me with confidence... nor does the lack of serial number!

As the seller does not mention the Caliber of the movement... I would have concerns! I am unsure of what the cal is.. but its not a 561/562 as i was expecting!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

i would want to see more movement shots, crown logo looks wrong, but just could be me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this model takes the 503. i, too, am unsure about the lack of a caliber stamp. the word calendar on teh dial is appropriate. it's nice redial. i think the crown is incorrect.

I have not owned any of the early 5xx (503) cals... looking at the others on the net, the serial number would be opposite the omega logo (under the rotor as pictured in the first link)....

Also, as I am unfamiliar with the movement... I did a quick search an found this one:

COLLECTABLE OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC MEN WATCH,CAL.503 | eBay

looking at the movement pic... it also has a logo with no cal number.... but, it has a second logo with the cal number under! So my concerns over the movement have lessened!

The crown may have been replaced, but this is not totally uncommon in vintage watches... at least the replacement is a omega!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Both movement and dial look decent to me.
    The CALENDAR is correct and I have seen Omega movements before with cal mentioned just below the balance so bottom line all looks pretty legit.

Hi there,

no doubts about the movement. Signatur on rotor matching the Omega 503,
    the serial number and the caliber signature are covered by the rotor.
    Take this for the position of the serial number:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 503
    and this for the positon of the calibre signature:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 504

The dial is surely repanted - well aligned but too bold print, and likely silvered
    under the black paint.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information