Question about a Vintage TIMEX on Ebay

Thread: Question about a Vintage TIMEX on Ebay

Question about a Vintage TIMEX on Ebay

should there be a backing to this watch? or is the battery just always visible on the back on the case?

also... if it doesnt say "water resistant" does that mean is isn't? (i know it sounds like a stupid question but i thought i'd ask anyway

Timex Mens Easy Reader Wristwatch Working Leather Band - eBay (item 330517020942 end time Jan-15-11 08:01:43 PST)

Re: Question about a Vintage TIMEX on Ebay

The battery isn't exposed on it,a lot of Timex have the battery size engraved on the back plate as this one does look a little odd I agree but that is only because the case is much bigger than the back. It may state water resistant on the back I can't read it because of the light but you wouldn't want to take a shower in it anyway. I wouldn't let that put you off if you fancy a dabble it looks quite respctable at the price.

Kev

For most Timexes I think if they are not marked water resistant, than they are not.

IF they are marked, here is the chart from Timex.

Water-Resistance Depth p.s.i.a. * Water pressureBelow Surface
    30m/98ft * 60
    50m/164ft * 86
    100m/328ft * 160

200m/656ft * 284

Even the older ones ('60's ans '70's) said 'waterproof' or 'water resistant' on the back or dial, but I would assume any older watch was not water resistant unless I replaced gaskets and had it pressure tested.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaffakid View Post
    should there be a backing to this watch? or is the battery just always visible on the back on the case?

also... if it doesnt say "water resistant" does that mean is isn't? (i know it sounds like a stupid question but i thought i'd ask anyway

Timex Mens Easy Reader Wristwatch Working Leather Band - eBay (item 330517020942 end time Jan-15-11 08:01:43 PST)
    The back does look odd to me too, but if it fits that's all that counts. The Easy Reader line has been a popular Timex line for quite a while. I bought one as a gift for someone close who has macular degeneration. That watch is very worn and along with the battery the strap will need replacement. I would suggest that you simply look for a new one for about the same overall cost.

If the watch isn't marked water resistant then it likely had a minimal amount of splash protection when new. That protection is completely gone in a used watch.

Thread Information