Question about a watch I have

Thread: Question about a watch I have

Question Question about a watch I have

I have a very old Hampton watch, opens in three pieces think it might be gold filled. decod with Bird and boat on one side and scrolling and same bird and church and scrolling on other side. markings and numbers on the inside with an anchor on inside also. Receieved it from my grandmother in 1982 and she said it belonged to her uncle who worked for the railroad. Any thoughts. I do have pics but don't know how to get them to you. Pictures are attached. Any help is appreciated. I really have no clue. For some reason I wasn't able to bring up the pictures on the front and back of the watch. Thanks.:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Question about a watch I have

nice. you should post this in the pocketwatch forum. those guys can get you the info.

stuffler,mike

Moved !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch was made in 1888 in Springfield Massachusetts USA. As far as I can tell it is not one of Hampden's railroad grades. It most closely matches the Model I Size 6 in the Shugart reference. It looks to be a lever set key wind watch.

You appear to be correct in surmising it is a gold filled case.

Others will know more!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I agree with Eeeb it is definitely not a railroad watch.
    (1) It is a hunter case and railroaders had to have an open face case.
    (2) it appears to be a 6S which is a very small watch. probably more of a lady's pendant watch actually. Railroad watches were 16S or larger.
    (3) it looks like a 7 jewel movement which would not have been railroad grade in 1888.
    I think it's actually a stem wind though. Don't see evidence of a keywind facility anywhere on the movement.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    I think it's actually a stem wind though. Don't see evidence of a keywind facility anywhere on the movement.
    my bad... you are of course correct!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information