Question for Cyma Bumper owners

Thread: Question for Cyma Bumper owners

Question for Cyma Bumper owners

I just picked up a Cyma Bumper, not sure of the date, but it's ~1950'-60's. This is my first Cyma and I was surprised to find that rather than a crystal, it has a plastic dome. The thing is so clean that it can't possibly be the original...it doesn't have a single scratch, which cannot be said for the case.

My question is this...what did these come with, from the factory? Was it a crystal or was it plastic?

I've looked at pictures of others, none that are exactly the same of course, and I saw one that specificed an "acrylic" crystal and another a new "plastic" crystal.

I haven't seen many, but I've seen a few Cyma owners around here, so anyone who can answer this, I will appreciate your help!

Jon

Re: Question for Cyma Bumper owners

Congrats on your new Cyma.

I doubt they were glass in the late 1940s - early 1950s. Watches of this era were pretty much universally plastic crystals.

A little polywatch and any original scratches to that acrylic crystal could have been easily buffed before you purchased it.

And I agree with trim, not too many sapphires on a watch like that back then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 1948 Cyma I posted after it's trip to the watchmaker earlier this year has a plastic 'crystal' & he polished it up extremely well, I was really expecting it to have needed replacing!

PS, what is a 'bumper'?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by iplayreelnice View Post
    And I agree with trim, not too many sapphires on a watch like that back then.
    I don't think any watches were sapphire before the late 70's. They really didn't become common until the 90's.
    Last edited by Eeeb; October 14th, 2011 at 17:20.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

By the 50's, "waterproof" was a fairly major selling feature for mid-range "daily" watches, to help protect against accidental showers, rainstorms, etc. One of the cheaper ways to accomplish that was using plastic crystals with an appropriately designed case; the plastic is compressed to fit in the bezel, which tends to form a reasonably watertite seal. The more elaborate "waterproof" designs used plastic crystals as a key component of their watertightness.

Because plastic degrades over time and is easily scratched, it was considered "normal" for a watchmaker to replace the crystal during routine service; companies like GS used to heavily promote the idea of including a crystal replacement with every service in order to promote goodwill (and it makes sense; nothing makes an old watch look new again quite like a brand new, unscratched crystal). So chances are that any vintage you own that was ever serviced probably doesn't have its original crystal anyway, so most watch dealers will replace the cyrstal on their watches to make them look better for sale. There's still a lot of new-old stock for the more obscure cases, and new-new stock for the more common ones.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for all of the replies! This is my first, though definitely not my last, from this era.

Though I can barely read it, the back is marked "Non magnetic watersport shock absorber". I wore it a bit last night to get it wound up and it's kept going for 14 hours now, keeping good time, until just now when I turned it over to read the back. It stopped and I had to give it a little tap to get it moving again.

So, I was thinking about returning it, but decided to keep it. After doing a little more research and talking to the guy I bought it from, he's going to give me back part of what I paid, rather than having to start over. I'm going to have to find a new band for it.

I have a couple more that I have my eye on and I just picked up an interesting pocket watch last night. I can't wait for it to get here!
    Name:  Cyma Decagon Pocket.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  131.4 KB

I'm generally more partial to pocket watches. I've got to figure out the date on this one. It's a 15 jewel Cyma movement with a serial number of 294xx, I don't remember the last 2 digits. The case was made in Canada.

I don't remember what drew my attention to Cyma watches recently, but I guess I'm on a Cyma kick now. I have another one on the way. It's a Quartz, but has this deep blue dial that I loved and I got it cheap.

Oh, actually I do remember now. It was a WW2 vintage wrist watch with a globe map on the dial. It ended up going for a little more than I could afford to spend. I'm disappointed, because I'd be surprised if I see another one like it, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by jonm61; October 15th, 2011 at 01:23.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMI6 View Post
    PS, what is a 'bumper'?
    It is an auto that uses a hammer, rather than a rotor - it bangs back and forth between springs to wind the watch rather than by rotating through 360 degrees.

Feels like nothing else to wear!

Pics!

Name:  Cyma Bumper.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  56.7 KBName:  Cyma Bumper movement.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  83.9 KBName:  Cyma Bumper Back.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  48.3 KB

I'm going to take it to my jeweler to have it cleaned & serviced as soon as the pocket watch comes in. I know he sends pocket watches out to someone else...don't know if he does wrist watches or sends them out. I guess I'll be finding out soon enough. The bottom line is that I trust him, know that he won't rip me off and know that it will get done right.

I meant to ask before...is there a list/database anywhere that can help determine the age of the Cymas from the serial #?

Thread Information