Question for the long timers - Which vintage watch brands have steadily grown in price?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Question for the long timers - Which vintage watch brands have steadily grown in price?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question for the long timers - Which vintage watch brands have steadily grown in price?

I am a novice and need guidance from some experienced members of the forum.

Which vintage watch brands have steadily risen in price? Unfortunately, eBay wont allow historical prices to be researched therefore my question. I am saying appreciation in about 20 year period.

Is it Omega? Zenith? Ulysse Nardin? Rolex? Vacheron? for the vintage collection

I can say for the new collection - I read from a recent watch magazine that "NOMOS" tops the list in last 5 years! Surprising eh? This was followed with well known brands like Lange & Sohne, Rolex etc. Apparantely Rolex Sub is the largest selling watch world wide, across US, Europe, China and Japan! Just some interesting facts which might interest the members here

Re: Question for the long timers - Which vintage watch brands have steadily grown in price?

Not a long timer but you will probably find that Rolex will be on the list due to the popularity even though vintage rolex was never as good as other makes back then. Also a few years back I bought my first omega cost was £77 including post, never seen an omega go for that now. They are other makes out there which you can pick up cheap and just as good so dont always dismiss them Tissot and Roamers are a good example and will let others chip in.

Re: Question for the long timers - Which vintage watch brands have steadily grown in price?

Since few are able to make their own determinations of quality and value, the prices in the vintage market generally follow the prices in the contemporary market.

For example, Omega and Longines and Tissot are in decreasing vintage price order which fits the current 'slots' they have been allocated by SwatchGroup in the present market... but in vintage quality they are often very very close (depending on year). And all have produced watches superior to same year Rolexes (depending on year) but you would never see that in vintage pricing. (Does the term 'lemmings' come to mind??)

In general vintage prices seem to be up since the 2008 economic meltdown... but anyone who is looking for vintage watches to be an 'investment' is a fool... technically the term for their economics is 'speculation' since they have no income stream. You would almost always be wiser to invest in an index fund than in a watch if you are looking for long term returns... after you factor in inflation/service/et.al. watches do not generally increase in value (vintage or contemporary -- but vintage at least is already depreciated from the 'market' price of retail so do better in your 20 year timeline).
    Tick Talk and Mirius like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post

anyone who is looking for vintage watches to be an 'investment' is a fool... technically the term for their economics is 'speculation' since they have no income stream. after you factor in inflation/service/et.al. watches do not generally increase in value (vintage or contemporary -- but vintage at least is already depreciated from the 'market' price of retail so do better in your 20 year timeline).
    Just saw this price list on the forum! I guess it all depends what model you buy and how well you preserve:

Name:  Omega Price.jpg
Views: 6501
Size:  95.5 KB

Excellent reference.

Check out the price of Ranchero as an example. I rest my case:
    Last edited by yourronny79; December 5th, 2012 at 16:07.

For example, Omega and Longines and Tissot are in decreasing vintage price order which fits the current 'slots' they have been allocated by SwatchGroup in the present market... but in vintage quality they are often very very close (depending on year). And all have produced watches superior to same year Rolexes (depending on year) but you would never see that in vintage pricing. (Does the term 'lemmings' come to mind??)
    I would agree about Longines and Omega historically were often pretty close with one being a bit more high end than the other at different times(Longines higher in the 30's-40's, Omega higher in the 60's- early 70's IMO). But I have never heard of Tissot competing at that level in price at the time, observatory accuracy competitions, or general perceptions of the time. I also don't see why Omega would have joined a cooperative group with Tissot if they were going after the same market share. It always seemed to me that they have occupied a similar niche all the time, good quality, good value but still lower mid level watches.

Quote Originally Posted by yourronny79 View Post
    Just saw this price list on the forum! I guess it all depends what model you buy and how well you preserve:

Excellent reference.

Check out the price of Ranchero as an example. I rest my case:
    I am sorry but I don't see your case.

I might also point out 1979 was a 'we are all going out of business' year for the Swiss watch industry... retail prices were drastically affected by that. The NASDAQ Composite Index in 1979 was about 150. It is now 3200...

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Gee... Omega and Tissot often interchanged movements during that time, didn't they? I personally think Tissot has been shortchanged but that is a 'personally think' statement just based on my own observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I am sorry but I don't see your case.

I might also point out 1979 was a 'we are all going out of business' year for the Swiss watch industry... retail prices were drastically affected by that. The NASDAQ Composite Index in 1979 was about 150. It is now 3200...
    lets stick to the facts shall we, :) my push-back was simply regarding your "fool comment". As I have shown carefully picked vintage watches could bear potential to grow 25-30 fold increase in 50-60 years. Take Ranchero as a simple example. I am not an economist but from numbers you presented perhaps your NASDAQ tracker fund would "only" grow 20 folds in comparison. Yes vintage watches are risky. Yes it is unpredictable and there is a lot of junk. How about buying a respectable brand at a throw-away price and holding long term? Having said, I very much agree with your comment of market movements and downturns. However, my intention was not to compare vintage watch against equities, wine, properties, vintage cars or paintings for that matter,:) Question is whether some of you have tracked vintage prices for certain brands against todays ebay sale (such as Omega price list I found) . Peace!
    Last edited by yourronny79; December 5th, 2012 at 16:50.

I am sorry if I offended but the assertion watches are real investments is way too common not to take a strong position... people can get hurt if they behave badly. Folks are out there fleecing people daily using this assertion. I see this in cars too... but I sure wish I had a late 50's Ford Starliner That doesn't make cars good investments but some speculations do win...

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Buy vintage/antique watches because you like them, not because you expect them to be a good or even secure investment.
    DragonDan and Tucayjordan like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information