Question(s) on Tudor Oysterdate 7970/1

Thread: Question(s) on Tudor Oysterdate 7970/1

Question(s) on Tudor Oysterdate 7970/1

Hi everyone, I have this Tudor Oysterdate ref.7970/1 and I’ve not been able to find anything about it. Literally anything.
    Long story (kinda) short: this watch was bought by my father from one of Milano’s (Italy) most famous Rolex dealers, in 1974. Serial number 68xxxx dates this watch to 1969, so far so good. Now, I know that gold capped Tudors are not common but can someone please enlighten me about why on earth a dealer would sign the certificate paper with another reference (see attatched images, ref on it is 9090)? Also, the dial itself looks reprinted to me, it’s not sharp at all, small rose doesn’t look good, plus I’ve never seen that “rotor” logo nor the “oyster-date” lettering with a dash in the middle. Again, my father assured me that the watch was bought brand new, used it for a couple of years and then stored it in a drawer since then. Never serviced too. It came with its gold plated bracelet, now I’ve put it on a leather strap to let my gf enjoy the watch anyway, it’s too small for my wrist at 31,5mm w/o crown. My father is not a watch guy so he’s not very helpful a part from the details he told me.
    So, does anyone have anything to share about this case? I might send in to my watchmaker to have it serviced in the next future but in the meantime it seems to be pretty accurate (+30 sec per day) so I’m not really bothered until I will find out more details about it.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who is going to share his knowledge/experience with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Question(s) on Tudor Oysterdate 7970/1

Not sure if allowed, in which case I do apologize beforehand, but I'm bumping this thread in order to try to have any sort of feedback from the vintage watch community, since I had no luck in the Rolex/Tudor forum till now. Got this thread moved here but of course it is deep down in the forum because I originally posted it more than 2 weeks ago.
    Thanks and sorry if I'm breaking any rule.

I agree that something is not right. Also, there should be lume dots on the dial and the minute markers are very uneven (look at 33 seconds!). The watch has be re-dialed and the papers are not for that watch. I think that your father's might not be remembering things exactly right.

Do you have the courage to look at the movement?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dial is reprinted for sure, they relumed the hands and forgot to relume the dial
    Document and watch do not match because 9090 should have that newer shield logo on the dial, the one on the first photo on the red card

I think Yours should be Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Rotor Self-Winding
    Chaos is my focus

Thanks guys, you just confirmed my thoughts. I think my father’s memory might not be that clear on this whole story afterall... first time I told him that the watch looked very bad to me he said I had no clue about what I was saying ahah. Yea, not an easy man. I’m sorry if it was too obvious to spot the redial but now I have some more proofs to show to him 😉

It is quite possible that his memory is clear but the most famous dealers are simple crooks
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information