Questions about King Seiko 4502 Movement
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan S

Thread: Questions about King Seiko 4502 Movement

Question Questions about King Seiko 4502 Movement

I am new to vintage watch in general. I recently purchased a King Seiko 4502-7000 with the 4502A movement. Besides from the 36000 bph, I don't know much about the movement. Can someone give me some information?

Things that I am interested in:
    - Power reserve (new/expected vs vintage/realistic)
    - Differences between similar versions: is there a 4502B? What is the difference compared to the Seiko lord marvel 5740 movement or the grand seiko movement at that time?
    - How do you know what year the movement was made?
    - How can you tell if the movement is authentic or not?

Thank you.

There is a dedicated Seiko subforum. You might get a response by making your enquiry there (although I assume that some regulars of the vintage forum might know and eventually reply).

Re: Questions about King Seiko 4502 Movement

Quote Originally Posted by ulala View Post
    I am new to vintage watch in general. . . .
    Please see attached pithogram© (all rights reserved to pithy, 2018)

Attached Images Attached Images

Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information Pithy and Amadeus. I want to know how much power reserve I should expect to get from this movement. Mine runs about 18 hrs on a full charge. It is a bit low from my expectation since most watch runs ~40 hrs now. However, the movement runs 36000 bph plus it is old so I don't want to imply the average power reserve to this vintage piece. If anyone knows the link to any thread or any information about this, please let me know. Thanks

I don't know if you will find written documentation of the theoretical power reserve, but it's fair to assume that 18 hours is too low by far. You should have it checked out.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks for the information Pithy and Amadeus. I want to know how much power reserve I should expect to get from this movement. Mine runs about 18 hrs on a full charge. It is a bit low from my expectation since most watch runs ~40 hrs now. However, the movement runs 36000 bph plus it is old so I don't want to imply the average power reserve to this vintage piece. If anyone knows the link to any thread or any information about this, please let me know. Thanks
    Discontinue use of the watch until it is serviced.
    Courtesy of ULF.

You need a service. I get about 40 hours from my 1970 Seiko KS with the 4502 movement in it. I had mine serviced last year. The date is on the case back the first number in the serial number is year and the second number is month.
    The movement is a very good movement and when properly serviced, the second hand glides around the dial. It has the second smoothest sweep second hand in my collection(my Accutron watches have a combined first)

When you get it serviced, make sure the watchmaker puts the case spring back or the movement will rattle about.

Thanks everyone for the information. Does anyone know who I can contact to service the watch? I tried Spencer but he does not take new order at the moment.

Also, if someone has experienced this before or know why it is the case, please let me know. When I first received the watch, it ran 8 mins late and only charged for about 15 hours. After wearing it for 2 days, it starts to run accurately (approximately < 1 mins late, I haven't really measured exactly) and the power reserve seems to increase 1-2 hrs more. I wonder if it could improve more.

Thanks for the information Pithy and Amadeus. I want to know how much power reserve I should expect to get from this movement. Mine runs about 18 hrs on a full charge. It is a bit low from my expectation since most watch runs ~40 hrs now.
    I get 40-43 hours on a GS4520 from 1970. It's a pretty similar movement.

Thanks everyone for the information. Does anyone know who I can contact to service the watch? I tried Spencer but he does not take new order at the moment.

Also, if someone has experienced this before or know why it is the case, please let me know. When I first received the watch, it ran 8 mins late and only charged for about 15 hours. After wearing it for 2 days, it starts to run accurately (approximately < 1 mins late, I haven't really measured exactly) and the power reserve seems to increase 1-2 hrs more. I wonder if it could improve more.
    Given what you have told us, you are most likely damaging the movement by continuing to run the watch when it is badly in need of service.
    pithy and ulala like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information