Questions about One Jewel movement watch I purchased

Thread: Questions about One Jewel movement watch I purchased

Questions about One Jewel movement watch I purchased

I recently purchased a one jewel watch off fleabay at a very cheap price.
    The case back says its waterproof so I assume its from the sixties.
    Are these One Jewel Movements particularly rare? I never saw one on ebay before and their seems to be limited information about them.
    Also it keeps fairly accurate time but is this movement supposed to be so loud? It is sitting a few feet away but I can here it loud and clear. An interesting watch but not all that practical because of the loud ticking.

Has anyone heard of A Massy De Luxe? No info about the brand. The movement is Swiss but I suspect it is made for the American market since the lug width is 3/4".
    See pics. I opened the back and the movement looks about the same as the movement below that I found somewhere else. Definitely the same or similar model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEE Massy Super Deluxe ONE Jewel Mens Swiss Made Watch _ eBay.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1294820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repair  Continental Jump Hour watch – Economic Swiss Time Mfg 1495 A _ Watch Guy.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	1294821

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Questions about One Jewel movement watch I purchased

It's ye ol' Baumgartner Cal. BFG 866:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Baumgartner 866

Anything but rare, especially on fleabay, but nothing much to shout about so when watches are advertised that contain this movement, the vendors don't shout! On the contrary: hoping that the buyers think they are dealing with a high grade watch, the movement remains cleverly hidden to prevent the price from staying too low. The fact is that pin lever watches like this one are good, rugged work horses but not terribly accurate in comparison to higher grade movements and common as dirt so that they do not (or should not) bring in much $$$. They are also very loud - the resonance of metal on metal is terrible!

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Hartmut,

The seller did advertise it as One Jewel Movement quite prominently in the description. It isn't a terrible looking watch by any mean and with shipping it only came to around $20. So not bad for a bit of old curiosity. I might give it as a Christmas present to someone I want to torment.

Why does it say 21 on the front. Were the makers also trying to deceive buyers too?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWanderer View Post
    Were the makers also trying to deceive buyers too?
    Of course the aimed to, but not actally did, because they wrote just 21 instead of 21 jewels. So the could always claim that it is part of the model name.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information