Questions about restoring a vintage Omega

Thread: Questions about restoring a vintage Omega

Questions about restoring a vintage Omega

I've decided to get a vintage Omega instead of spending 500-700 on a new watch. I looked around on eBay and I can grab one for ~$300. Awesome!

Now the questions. I found an auction with the case number 166.121. I definitely don't want to wear a watch around that has a cracked crystal. I did a little search, and it's not listed in ofrei.com under crystals. ofrei.com does have the case number's bracelets, though.

So... What do I do when this happens? My google-fu isn't strong enough to find an aftermarket case to fit the vintage, since a search with the case number pulls up nil.

Thanks!

Re: Questions about restoring a vintage Omega

Are you sure the case number isnt 166.0121 and not 166.121 my number would make it a geneve range.

Round acrylic crystals can be very easily replaced with generic crystals. A genuine Omega crystal, with the little omega symbol, will cost a lot more and only be noticeable on very close inspection.

Joe, I'm pretty sure I've looked at the ebay listing in question, and the case is indeed marked 166.121. The movement is a 1481.

Why don't you you post a link to it and let the more knowledgeable members (not me) in here give their opinions before bidding? Vintage Omegas are a bit of a minefield, although less of a problem with the Geneve than with some other model names.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

your best bet is to phone ofrei with the case number, cant see a problem in buying an original crystal

From about what year can I get parts for it from ofrei.com?

The part number for the crystal is either PX or PZ5200, depending on whether you need one with gold or silver trim.

They seem to be avaliable from Julesborel.com. You would need to go to their website and call them. These crystals are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Are you sure the case number isnt 166.0121 and not 166.121 my number would make it a geneve range.
    These would be one and the same. Omega sometimes put a zero to the right of the decimal. Why? I haven't a clue.

Also, these crystals are also avaliable at Ofrei.com. You can find them by searching for 166.0121.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; December 7th, 2011 at 20:34.

I think I found the watch in question with a quick search on ebay using the case number in
    the search criteria.
    What is going on with this dial?

The markers don't make sense.... if this is the watch then it's a heap of junk.

Thread Information