Questions about vintage
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Questions about vintage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about vintage

Just have some questions for all you vintage experts out there. Feel free to answer all of them or pick and choose

1. Is it possible to buy a nice vintage watch for less than 50 dollars
    2. If not, what's the minimum one has to spend
    3. Where is a good constant source of vintage watches
    4. What should I look for when buying a vintage watch from ebay

Re: Questions about vintage

I will answer a couple for my two cents worth...
    -it is possible to buy a vintage watch for under $50. It just depends on your definition of nice. Don't expect a Rolex or Patek Philippe, but I'm sure it's happened at least once in the past.
    -typically most reasonably priced vintage watches range from $100 and up.
    -all different venues are a good source. Everyone references " the Bay" for purchasing. Myself, I go to more antique malls and stores, I deal a lot with local gold and silver scrap buyers.
    - as far as what to look for, it's primarily what interests you.
    - and when buying from the bay, be ever vigilant, there are thousands of fakes and watches made to deceive. When in doubt, ask many, many, many questions, and if you find one that you are not sure about, you can always ask the many experts on WUS about it.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

1. Yes, it is possible. However, you going to eitherhave to settle for a better brand in rather poor condition or a less-known watch brand in better condition. You won't be buying from a dealer, since for that mone, they can do better cannibalizing cheaper watches for movement parts than selling for under $50.

2. Depending on the brand, you're probably looking at around $100 for anything decent. At that price, you'll probably be looking at something with some warts. Maybe it needs service or has a redial, incorrect crown, worn through gold-filled case, etc.

3. Everyone loves to knock eBay, but go find me a better source of vintage watch bargains and I'll be happy to go there. Most dealers replenish their stock from there, they just will never admit it. The problem with eBay is that you need to do your homework and understand what it is that you are bidding on. That's why forums like this exist.

4. That's a very difficult question. A lot depends on what floats your particular boat collecting-wise. I generally look for "barn finds", that is, watches from private sellers who don't sell a lot of watches, but do sell a lot of other non-jewelery antiques. This tells me that they may be buying in bulk from estate sales or local auctions, and may not know what they have. But that means you have to know what to look for. That takes years of practice and then you have to compete with people like me.

Good luck in your searching!
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; August 5th, 2014 at 06:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think if your lucky and willing to spend a long time searching around ebay ..it is still possible to buy a decent watch for 50 dollars or under on ebay. Less well known brands for starters. The last 3 watches I bought were all under 50 bucks. 2 were advertising pieces, the other a very accurate pin pallet movement. This does not take into account the servicing by my watchmaker on 1 one of them. Both of the advertising pieces were Hamazawa movements..pretty respectable Japanese movements from the 70s. I have also recently bought a "name brand " watch in mint condition for 40 bucks plus shipping. A Camy. So that just my 2 cents on your first question. Good luck and Im sure many more people will come along with diverse opinions on all your questions. Regards..P&P

I've gotten some great vintage Seiko, Vulcain, Mido, & Tissot watches from eBay, my local watch guy, etc. all for under $100. I would suggest purchasing only from U.S. sellers & researching the hell out of the watches you like. I also prefer mechanical watches (automatic & manual wind). There are some really fun vintage Orient watches out there, too, for very little dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, $50 can buy a nice 17 jeweled Swiss winder. Then you need $100 worth of service to make sure it keeps working...
    armian and kazrich like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    I generally look for "barn finds", that is, watches from private sellers who don't sell a lot of watches, but do sell a lot of other non-jewelery antiques. This tells me that they may be buying in bulk from estate sales or local auctions, and may not know what they have.
    gatorcpa
    On ebay the problem is not the seller but other buyers :D You know what they(sellers) have and also a bunch of others know :) And they wait
    Chaos is my focus

You will get a nice manual wind HMT for 20-40 Dollars. Stainless steel case, solid work horse of a movement that will keep great time. Very under ratted I think.

The problem with HMTs is that most of them belong to "most ridiculous redial" thread :)
    Smoking Joe likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    The problem with HMTs is that most of them belong to "most ridiculous redial" thread :)
    True, but take your time and you will find a nice original watch. Or even a redial that you like. I have been wearing a redialed HMT for the last few months that I really like. A Pilot redialed as a Jarwan. I bought it as a 12 quid "hack" but ended up really liking it. Keeps perfect time too. It's a really nice watch. Good size, stainless steel case, good movement and looks great. What is there not to like? Unoriginal dial? That doesn't bother me once it has been done tastefully and to a good standard. And I knew what I was buying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information