Questions about vintage Venus 210 chronograph
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eri231

Thread: Questions about vintage Venus 210 chronograph

Questions about vintage Venus 210 chronograph

I have a few questions about a vintage chronograph of mine that I am hoping someone knows the answers to. The chronograph is by a seemingly small defunct Swiss brand "Alpha". However, the movement--which I am fairly certain is a Venus 210--is signed "Le Phare Watch Co". Google turns up very little on either Alpha, Le Phare, or even the Venus 210...

It seems Le Phare was also a small watch maker several decades ago. I am wondering if the movement was a replacement for this watch? I have found one other watch like this on the web and it had a much plainer looking unsigned movement.

Also, any guess as to how old the watch may be? I was thinking early sixties...

Any thoughts on the Venus 210 and how it stacks up to the Venus 188 and Landeron movements of the era?

Thanks for any info. Hopefully this is the right place for this kind of post... I've never ventured out of the Russian forum.

Re: Questions about vintage Venus 210 chronograph

Here's the movement

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 210

A little info on Le Phare Watch Co. Second post.

Watches By Le Phare - The Watch Forum

Others should be able to help more. Nice watch
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Interesting that the link touts Le Phare as the second largest Swiss chronograph producer in the 1970's, yet they have almost no presence on eBay or the rest of the web. Alpha seems to be similarly obscure, so perhaps the two were related. A big problem with searching for info on the old Swiss Alpha is that the search engines are clogged with links to the modern Chinese brand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Le Phare Watch Company really has had a distinguished past, indeed in 1915 it was taken over by George Favre Jacot of ZENITH.
    In 1922 ZENITH divested itself of Le-Phare.
    The company went onto good success with high quality chronographs including 'rattrapantes'
    also traded under name 'DIXI'
    Still listed in 1986

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss Time Keepers
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Is that the movement that the chinese copied into the TY2903 ? - looks soooo similar

TY2903=three registers
    regards enrico
    watchma likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am not so sure that Le Phare was really taken over by Zenith - there are no references to that in the literature. I think it was more a case of Zenith havin (stock or other legal) interest in the company which they divested themselves of in 1922. Rather like Martel which both Zenith and Universal at first had controlling interests in until Zenith took over the company entirely in 1959-60. However, if anyone has documentation of Zenith actually taking over Le Phare, I would be most interested in a peek.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    Is that the movement that the chinese copied into the TY2903 ? - looks soooo similar
    The Sea-Gull is based on the older and more complicated column wheel design of the Venus 175.

Thread Information