questions on inherited vintage american waltham pocket watch

Thread: questions on inherited vintage american waltham pocket watch

questions on inherited vintage american waltham pocket watch

Hello,

I am looking for information on a pocket watch which was left to me by my grandfather. The watch has been in the family for over 100 years. I do not have pictures at this point but I have looked up some info based on the serial numbers. I am not so much concerned with the value of the watch (although that would be nice to know) I would just like to learn a bit more about it. The watch is not working and I would really like to have it repaired. When you attempt to turn the crown to wind, nothing happens. There is no friction or feel of a spring being wound.

Description of the watch from: NAWCC Information Storage

Case Serial # 1018572

Movement Serial #: 6522435

Start: 12/1/1896 End: 1/31/1902 First: 6522401 Last: 6522500 Model: 1891 Name: Riverside Material: P Grade: Special, NL Size: 0 Size: 0 Plate: PS Plate: NL Jewelling: 17 Jewels: 16-17 Balance: Ex/Breg/Adj Bal: Breguet Spring Style: KW
    Style:
    NL
    Comment: nickel/A few made Lady W. 16 J. Source: BR
    Date:
    12/12/2002

Does anybody have anymore information about this watch or a website to consult? I would greatly appreciate any information i could get. I will try to upload pictures at another time. Or if you would like more of a description on the watch please let me know.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Re: questions on inherited vintage american waltham pocket watch

Hey Lauren,

Watch sounds like a turn-of-the-century women's pocket watch. Judging from the information there, it seems to be fairly high-quality. Yours was probably made circa 1896-1897. Photographs are very welcome.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Shangas,
    Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I have been scouring the internet looking for information on this watch. I have found models which look similar but the movement looks to be slightly different. Since i have very little knowledge on movements, its difficult for me to identify this watch. I will be posting pictures momentarily as i need to charge my camera's battery. I will post pictures of the movement, case and dial. let me know if i have missed something that you would need for identification. regarding the watches inability to function at the moment, is it possible to replace the broken parts and still maintain the integrity of the piece? I would love to get this watch running again. It is very interesting and intriguing to have a time piece which dates back to the turn of the century. Another side note, upon opening the case back there is an inscription on the dust cover (?? i think thats what you call it ) which says: C.T. Jones 1901. Cant wait to hear more about this watch. Thanks again for any help you have and can provide.

Lauren

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have most of the information already from the NAWCC database. It's a 0S Model 1891 16 or 17 jewel Riverside Waltham made around 1896. Definitely a fine quality woman's watch.
    Sounds to me like the mainspring is broken and that's repairable. You'll need to take it to a good watchmaker as it will need cleaning and lubrication as well.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The watch is not working and I would really like to have it repaired. When you attempt to turn the crown to wind, nothing happens. There is no friction or feel of a spring being wound.
    This sounds a bit like the problem I had with my watch (which would wind, but not fully, and would only run for 19 hours). It could be, as Ray mentioned, a worn out mainspring, which can be replaced (Mainsprings get a LOT of use, so there were millions of spares). Or, it could be the problem that I had, which was that the winding-wheel wasn't working properly. That may be a bit harder to fix, but it's still possible.

Nothing wrong in wanting to get the watch running again and to use it, but be sure to find a good watchmaker with plenty of experience. Do NOT trust your grandmother's 1890s pocket watch to some klutz who advertises as a watchmaker who can "replace straps, change batteries and do engraving" --- that is not a watchmaker.

A proper watchmaker will focus on watches (and sometimes jewellery) and will know the ins-and-outs of repairing mechanical timepieces, including how to oil it, clean it, regulate it and source or make (as the case may be) replacement parts.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information