Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

Thread: Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member absolute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13

    Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

    Hi folks,

    Recently, I got this vintage Omega seamaster on a local auction, my experienced friend checked the watch for me and everything appears to be just fine. It use cal. 600 hand-wind movement.

    However, I would like to know more about the watch then I reached the online vintage Omega database
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

    I searched Cal.600 , 2 seamaster and 1 De Ville popped up.

    There's only one has the same dial as mine but the hands are different :
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

    Is it possible..

    1. the database has something missing ?

    2. the hands of my watch has been replaced ? ( but I saw the exact watch with same hands and same dial as mine selling on ebay : Super Vintage 1961 Omega Seamaster Cal 600 Stainless Steel with Rice Band Watch | eBay )

    Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks


    Name:  1136289346-ac-3332xf7x0600x0448-m.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  37.3 KB
    Name:  1136289346-ac-2490xf4x0600x0448-m.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  72.4 KB

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UTC
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

    The Omega database isn't always right, there are sometimes slightly different versions posted and there were slightly different versions produced at the time, and preferences offered to the buyer at the point of sale, etc (metal bracelet, leather strap, that sort of thing). That's the first point.

    The second is that, yes, it's more than possible that the hands were changed. I have a similar model, but an earlier one, and my hands are silver with white luminous infill (as with the eBay link you sent). But don't take my answer as definitive, believe me, there are guys out there who really know the exact details, so hopefully one of the Omega experts out there can advise.

    Anyway, hard to see from your photograph, but you appear to have either the dark infill or the luminous material has gone black (like mine, it happens with age). You have the choice to either leave them like that (authentic) or get someone to re-do the luminous. The true collector would most likely leave well enough alone.
    But I have to admit: I'm no Omega expert, so...

    Quote Originally Posted by absolute View Post
    Hi folks,

    Recently, I got this vintage Omega seamaster on a local auction, my experienced friend checked the watch for me and everything appears to be just fine. It use cal. 600 hand-wind movement.

    However, I would like to know more about the watch then I reached the online vintage Omega database
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

    I searched Cal.600 , 2 seamaster and 1 De Ville popped up.

    There's only one has the same dial as mine but the hands are different :
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

    Is it possible..

    1. the database has something missing ?

    2. the hands of my watch has been replaced ? ( but I saw the exact watch with same hands and same dial as mine selling on ebay : Super Vintage 1961 Omega Seamaster Cal 600 Stainless Steel with Rice Band Watch | eBay )

    Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by Habitant; November 27th, 2013 at 14:40.

  3. #3
    Member john*thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    153

    Re: Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

    I don't know enough to verify complete original authenticity of your watch but I will re-affirm what is noted above. The Omega database is incomplete at best.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member absolute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13

    Re: Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    The Omega database isn't always right, there are sometimes slightly different versions posted and there were slightly different versions produced at the time, and preferences offered to the buyer at the point of sale, etc (metal bracelet, leather strap, that sort of thing). That's the first point.

    The second is that, yes, it's more than possible that the hands were changed. I have a similar model, but an earlier one, and my hands are silver with white luminous infill (as with the eBay link you sent). But don't take my answer as definitive, believe me, there are guys out there who really know the exact details, so hopefully one of the Omega experts out there can advise.

    Anyway, hard to see from your photograph, but you appear to have either the dark infill or the luminous material has gone black (like mine, it happens with age). You have the choice to either leave them like that (authentic) or get someone to re-do the luminous. The true collector would most likely leave well enough alone.
    But I have to admit: I'm no Omega expert, so...
    I prefer to leave it as is, the hands have dark infill, it's black, same as the ebay one.

    Actually the whole watch is exactly the same as the one listing on ebay, and I found some other pics on google which has the same dial and hands.

    I would believe mine is original because the chance of few watchmakers retouching the watch in the exact same way is very slim.

    We will see if any Omega experts could tell us more about it :)

  6. #5
    Member absolute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13

    Re: Questions on vintage Omega seamaster

    Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I don't know enough to verify complete original authenticity of your watch but I will re-affirm what is noted above. The Omega database is incomplete at best.
    Even the official database is incomplete, that's why vintage watches are so much fun to collect :)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •