A quick hello and a query. (Gruen pocket watch)
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A quick hello and a query. (Gruen pocket watch)

Hello,

My name is Frank I live in Toronto Canada. I have a growing interest in watches. My FIL was a watch hobbyist. He loved to repair old and new watches. He's sold me some lovely watches in the past. One a 1870's era railway pocket watch. Which was stolen in a break in years ago. :( And most recently, a early 1900's Gruen Veri-thin. Of which I know little about. All I know is that it is white gold and form the 1900's. A quick google search tells me it might be one of their "Empire" models. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year and I did not ask him more about it as I kept it away in a safe and somewhat forgot about it. I've posted some pictures below. If anyone can help me identify which model it is, how to open it to see the movement and how to set the time, I would greatly appreciate it. The watch is in working order and I'd like to make some use of it now and then.

I've added a few pictures below. LMK if you'd like to see more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A quick hello and a query. (Gruen pocket watch)

Is it not just a regular stem-wind and stem-set watch? Have you tried pulling out the crown and setting the hands as you would be used to doing on a wristwatch? Try that and let us know if it works.

I don't see any obvious hinges, so I am guessing that the back snaps on and off. Look around the edge to see if there is a slot to insert a case knife. On the other hand, if you see hinges, then you should open the back from the side opposite the hinge, obviously.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Is it not just a regular stem-wind and stem-set watch? Have you tried pulling out the crown and setting the hands as you would be used to doing on a wristwatch? Try that and let us know if it works.

I don't see any obvious hinges, so I am guessing that the back snaps on and off. Look around the edge to see if there is a slot to insert a case knife. On the other hand, if you see hinges, then you should open the back from the side opposite the hinge, obviously.
    I'm not 100% sure. I tried pulling the crown and it does not want to give. I dont want to do any damage as it does seem to work. I just need to adjust the time. Not too long after I posted this thread, I found the handwritten tag that came with the watch. I suspect either he or one of his watch buddies has some Gruen manuals/books to refer to. So, here's what's on the tag.

Gruen 12s
    Verathin V7
    17 Jewel adjustable
    14kt white gold
    #612219 (the serial #?)

On the flipside.
    Case # 1066144

Any insight would be welcome.

I found this similar thread from 2008 but the pictures seem to be long gone. The local Gruen expert "JohnF" replied to the OP.
    I cannot post the link due to my low post count. I'm a newb here.

However the post# is 1152949

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can also google lever-set pocket watch to see the other watch the PWs can be set. See if that helps you. But honestly, and no offense, you sound a bit unfamiliar with watches, so if you want to avoid the risk of damaging the watch, it might be best to visit a watchmaker and have him take a look at it. In any case, you want to avoid using it until it is cleaned and lubricated, since the moving parts will just be rubbing against each other unlubricated after so many years.
    [email protected] likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    You can also google lever-set pocket watch to see the other watch the PWs can be set. See if that helps you. But honestly, and no offense, you sound a bit unfamiliar with watches, so if you want to avoid the risk of damaging the watch, it might be best to visit a watchmaker and have him take a look at it. In any case, you want to avoid using it until it is cleaned and lubricated, since the moving parts will just be rubbing against each other unlubricated after so many years.
    No offense taken. This is the second pocket watch I've owned and while the first one was easier to figure out, this one befuddles me a bit. I'll take this as sound advice. I don't want to ruin something that's pretty damn hard to fix/replace. Would love to know more about this in the meantime. So I'm hoping for any added details about this model. :)
    badbackdan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    No offense taken. This is the second pocket watch I've owned and while the first one was easier to figure out, this one befuddles me a bit. I'll take this as sound advice. I don't want to ruin something that's pretty damn hard to fix/replace. Would love to know more about this in the meantime. So I'm hoping for any added details about this model. :)
    These Gruen's are lovely, and yours appears to be in very nice condition. I hope you will have it serviced and post plenty of photos.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Potentially this is a screwback case so probably safest to leave it to someone else if you aren’t completely comfortable.

Thread Information