Quickset date on Bulova Accutron 2182
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By odd_and_vintage_fan
  • 1 Post By DC guy

Thread: Quickset date on Bulova Accutron 2182

Quickset date on Bulova Accutron 2182

Soon after getting my dad's 2182 restored to working order in June (broken clutch, new battery), I found myself needing to advance the date from June 30 to July 1.

On the morning of July 1, I turned the crown in the "in" position and felt a lot of resistance. I kept turning, hoping it would click over. It did, but the force of the click really jarred me and I instantly regretted forcing it.

I worried that I had just re-broken the movement, but thankfully everything has continued functioning normally since then.

I googled the proper way to set the date on the Accutron 2182, and found this:
    How to set day date on Bulova Accutron 2182 movement | eBay

These instructions confuse me to no end.

1) Is it really true that the date should only be quickset between 11pm and midnight? On every other watch I've ever used, that is exactly when you are not supposed to advance the date. That's why I set my watch in the morning.

2) The page appears to offer two sets of instructions, one unofficial and the other official. The official instructions say to set the date last (after setting the day and time) with no special notes about only doing it (or not) between 11pm and midnight. Isn't this just inviting damage to the date mechanism?

3) The unofficial instructions suggest moving the hands to 11pm-midnight, quicksetting the date, then moving the hands back to the correct time. That's a lot of winding. Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the "quickset" feature? Not to mention defeating the purpose of having a watch that stays so accurate that you don't have to reset the time?

4) I read elsewhere (and recall my dad telling me) that you should never turn the hands counterclockwise. The concern being that the pawl and index are only set up to push the microteeth in one direction and can break if the wheel is reversed. Yet the instructions above talk about moving the hands forwards and backwards to set the day. Is there not any truth to the concern about winding counterclockwise?

Fellow 2182 owners, please help me understand the proper technique before the next required adjustment on Oct 1.

I hope this watch does not need repair. The crown felt jammed before I sent it in, and the watchmaker said he would fix it in the course of the overhaul. I've just never had a chance to test it, other than on July 1.

--DC guy
    Last edited by DC guy; August 25th, 2015 at 03:10.

Re: Quickset date on Bulova Accutron 2182

I have a few Accutrons but all are back winders as I like the 'crown-less' look. But the changing the date between 11pm and 2am sounds odd.

I do know that the day/date function is very delicate on my 1970 Omega SM with Bulova movement but I don't know if they are exactly the same as the 2182. However-in the Omega vintage movement-the date wheels are are very brittle and prone to breaking and the very SPECIFIC directions have ALWAYS been [afaik] to NOT change the date anytime between 9pm and 3am (just to be extra cautious.)

So-I don't know what the 'snap' you heard was for certain but you better hope it wasn't a cog in the D/D wheel. If it was you may not notice a problem for the next 30days and with stop working only when you return to the date you originally forced it. Sorry to alarm you but you could-if you were eager to find out-advance the watch to a day or two before the date you had the issue. Then wait for the movement to naturally run through one or two days and see if either day or date wheel stop at the date. If they proceed normally through that date and beyond-you know your okay on that account.

As for the confusing instructions on date change I can't say. If it were mine-I would stick to the tried and true 'don't change date between 11-2. But then you've stated you had problems setting outside those parameters.good luck. sure some tuning fanatic will inform you.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; August 26th, 2015 at 03:57.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I want to be able to help with the date function, but I only have a 2180 movement without date. As for point 4, if it's been a long time since a service there can be inadequate slip in the system to allow for setting. This could put back-pressure on the pawl finger.

If it's been recently serviced, this shouldn't be a problem. I set mine to 5 min ahead, then back it up to the correct time to take the slack out of the gear train. This lets me perfectly sync the minute and second hands. I've had no ill effects from it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How to set day date on Bulova Accutron 2182 movement | eBay

I never tried this (instructions in the linK).

Since I had a screw up with day/date on one of my Accutrons, I now only collect Accutrons with no/day date, as also the day/date disk is often worn shortly before damage, due to mistakes by previous owners. But that is an odd way to get around the setting problems, I have to admit.

Perhaps the following link is also of interest (type 218). It is an original Bulova service document (.pdf) and worth collecting (free, in public domain).

https://ia802700.us.archive.org/8/it...viceManual.pdf
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 25th, 2015 at 17:53. Reason: info/link added

Thanks for the link to the repair manual. Interesting read, but unfortunately no answers to my query.

Today's August 31, so I have exactly 30 days to figure this out...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accset.htm

I don't know why I didn't think of this site before. There's a date quickset by turning the crown clockwise while it's in the "in" position.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Yes, but what time of day do I turn it? Close to midnight or not close to midnight?

How much resistance should I feel? A little or a lot? It seems like there should not be a little, otherwise the date might accidentally advance all the time.

5 days left til I have to do it...
    DietersRover likes this.

I'd say do it the morning you wake up and realize it's wrong. The day/date functions have already worked overnight and the jumper springs are relaxed.

No idea about resistance. Best guess is it shouldn't feel like an alarming amount.

Well, today was the day. Here's what happened.

Last night at around 10:30pm, I tried turning the crown to advance the date. Got major resistance so gave up. I tried again around 11:00 and same thing happened.

This morning around 9:00am, I tried turning the crown and it halfway advanced the date then put up a lot of resistance. I let go and the date moved back to "31." I have to believe there is some locking mechanism in place that only disengages close to midnight.

So I pulled out the crown and rolled the time backwards to 11:45pm. Pushed the crown in, and this time, I was able to advance the date without major resistance. Then I pulled the crown out and advanced the time past midnight. I half expected the day to roll over from Thursday to Friday, but thankfully it didn't. I was able to set the current time and push the crown back in.

All in all, this is hardly a "quickset" date feature, requiring two crown pulls and a lot of manipulation that hacks the seconds and requires a complete time resynchronization.

If the watch didn't have a day complication, it would be faster and easier to just hand crank the time 24 hours ahead.

But this works. Hope this post helps somebody else in the future.

--DC guy
    Last edited by DC guy; October 1st, 2015 at 19:37.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

If I were you, I would ask the questions here:

The Bulova & Accutron Forum

The guys here live and breathe Accutrons, many will know what you need, or want to know.

Cheers, Bob.

Thread Information