racine vs. enicar?

Thread: racine vs. enicar?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

racine vs. enicar?

Are the Racine and Enicar brands related? I have seen the claim multiple times, because Enicar was founded by someone named Ariste Racine, and Racine is Enicar spelled backwards. But the Racine brand was founded by Jules Racine (who was exclusive distributor of Gallet in the US). So as far as I can tell, the two brands are unrelated.

/K

Re: racine vs. enicar?

I totally agree kwahoo, are unrelated , but I haven´t heard that claim or that have caused much controversy or confusion like for example with Tissot and Mathey-Tissot .

Saludos

I'd like to see some Racine watches and their movements. I don't think I've seen any.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi bjohnson

Check this out

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Pag...ary_watch.html

BTW , I have to tell you , your vintage collection is AMAZING!!!

Saludos

Thanks for the link

And thanks for the compliment, but I think you have my collection confused with someone else's. I wouldn't consider my collection impressive compared to many others.

Quote Originally Posted by kwahoo View Post
    Are the Racine and Enicar brands related? I have seen the claim multiple times, because Enicar was founded by someone named Ariste Racine, and Racine is Enicar spelled backwards. But the Racine brand was founded by Jules Racine (who was exclusive distributor of Gallet in the US). So as far as I can tell, the two brands are unrelated.

/K

Not sure if I agree with the above.

Here is a post from this forum that might clear up the confusion a bit.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=87411

I believe that Enicar was originally an offshoot of Racine, then eventually produced its own movements for sale on this side of the Atlantic.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Hi there,

here an example from my archive:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...sau&1098284422

The description contains some remarks about Racine, Gallet, and the missing
    relation to Enicar.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Banned

Guys,
    I am only new, but I have 400 plus Enicar and 10 Racine and some Gallet. They are related as I understand through the Gallet connection. Ariste Racine was Jules Racine cousin. There is some confusion in the stories that I have been told, but Ariste was not liked, or he did not get on with his uncle Gallet. So he went and did his own things.
    Most Racine watches are made by Gallet. But this is not the same for the Enicar watches. Alprosa watches are made by Enicar. Some Longeau are also Enicar. If you want to see some Enicar or Racine, let me know which ones I will try to post them - I may try now. I have attached some movement shorts of Racine watches.
    regards
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have over 400 Enicars?? I am impressed... it is not common to see such a dedicated collection. That is quite an accomplishment!

With that many, you must have seen some trends and patterns in the company's output. Are there any observations you care to share?

Have you ever seen another example of this watch (with a subsecond disk)?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Banned

Sir,
    Got me - no, but I have a similar one case ref 200/30P and I am missing the dial.

Trends - well they started using ETA movements, made their own now use ETA. General observations are similar to Eterna, used basically stainess cases, simple lines, traditional raised bars forthe hours, but had the odd special.

I suspect the management were not good, for as I understand it the Sherpa, was named because Sir Edmond Hillary climbed Everest with an ENICAR before he did it wiht the Rolex Explorer. But they did not capitalise on that. They were connected with Healthways and produced the Seapearl 600 or the Healthways 100.

Early watches (with Enicar movements) AR980 and AR1010 were simple and robust. You could not kill a 1010. The evolved into the more complicated auto AR1125 - 1145 - 165 - 167. Beautiful movements, but bog awful cases sometimes.

I think the basic thing is that Enicar have never produced a beautiful watch (or very few). Mostly they were simiple and slightly quirky.

Chronoswiss bought the last of the 165 movements and the rest is history.

I personally think before they went bankrupt in the early 1970's their designs were becomming too chunky lacking any finese. But the mechanics are supurb. Also the odd special are nice, but these are few and far between.
    I have tried (I am not familar yet with the system) to upload an example of their styles
    regards
    Dan
    PS if anyone need some information just let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information