Radium Scotty's?

Thread: Radium Scotty's?

Radium Scotty's?

I have three black dial Westclox Scotty pocket watches. All three have plastic gears and aluminum plate movements instead of brass which indicates they are newer models. None of the dials or hands on any of them glow without shining a bright flashlight on them. Then they glow brightly for about a minute and start to dim. The paint on the dials and hands is white instead of the green I've normally seen on radium dial watches and does not appear to be flaking or coming off. Is it safe to conclude that these watches do not contain radium?

Re: Radium Scotty's?

Definitely NOT radium. The Radium paint was only used on the really old ones. I'm thinking the plastic wheels are a modern thing.

If they still glow at all, the watch probably isn't more then 40 years old. Even radium watches stop glowing after a while (not because their any less radioactive, but because the phosphor has broken down)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If they still glow at all, the watch probably isn't more then 40 years old. Even radium watches stop glowing after a while (not because their any less radioactive, but because the phosphor has broken down)
    But what I'm wondering is, if these watches do contain radium and no longer glow because of phosphor breakdown, why would they still glow when exposed to the light form a flashlight? This would seem to indicate that they are painted with some type of glow in the dark paint instead of radium.

Yeah, sounds like modern lume. Radium would just glow consistently and not 'charge' by light exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    Yeah, sounds like modern lume. Radium would just glow consistently and not 'charge' by light exposure.
    Yeah, everything I've found on the subject seems to indicate it's regular lume.

Thread Information