Rado Silver Stag vintage, genuine or copy?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Reshapeinvent
  • 1 Post By mike184
  • 1 Post By Henry Krinkle

Thread: Rado Silver Stag vintage, genuine or copy?

Rado Silver Stag vintage, genuine or copy?

Hi all, I wondered if anyone could help me?

I've just purchased this Rado Silver Stag 70's watch and I'm not sure if it is genuine. I have opened the case and there doesn't seem to be any serial numbers. If anyone can help determine weather this watch is genuine or not, I would be most grateful.

Much appreciated in anticipation.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shum likes this.

Re: Rado Silver Stag vintage, genuine or copy?

Hi and Welcome.
    In my opinion
    Movement is genuine.
    Dial looks all original to me
    Bracelet may be a RADO replacement i.e not the original
    Nice watch

Regards
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 5th, 2013 at 16:47.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi!

The Silver Stag is a very rare bird. To be honest, it´s the first one I see after all those years - but I know that it exists and so it´s listed in the register on my HP without a pic.
    On the first view everything looks original - case, bracelet, dial, hands and movement are surely original. The clasp of the bracelet is replaced, as Adam already noticed. But case and dial/movement don´t seem to belong together:
    On the back you can see the reference number - unusual that it is not written together: 633.3092.4
    The 633 stands for an ETA 2824 auto movement with date only, but inside is an ETA 2836 with day and date, which should have a 606 in the reference number.
    I have never seen "S.J.CO" on a Rado watch. It could stand for "Sakata Japan Company", Rado´s importer in Japan for many years, though the official company name was "Sakata Watch Co. Ltd". So maybe a release for Japan only.
    "Nicht Genaues weiß man nicht" like we say in Germany - one doesn´t know nothing exactly. I just can assume that it´s either a "Frankenrado", mounted with original parts that originally didn´t belong together or it´s original, made with parts being still on stock as a Japan release only. Rado can´t help you, they don´t have records about those. I will link this thread to the Rado forum, maybe s.o. there knows everything.
    A nice watch though, so enjoy it and wear it in health.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Best regards, Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great reply Mike
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Like Mike, I cannot say anything for sure. I only have suspicions. I think I know who the seller is and that seller isn't afraid to reprint dials and to assemble watches from parts. I would expect a higher jewel count in a Silver Stag; Silver and Gold versions of Rado models tend to have 25J movements. Most Silver Stags I have seen have an odd shaped bezel and an integrated SK bracelet like this one:

VINTAGE AUTO RARE RADO SILVER STAG SWISS | eBay

This may not mean anything though. It was not unusual for Rado to use different cases on the same model; try tracking down all the case variations available in models like the Conway or Voyager for instance.

Once again I can't say anything for sure. It's a nice looking watch and if you like it and are happy with it, I wouldn't worry too much.
    mike184 likes this.

Thread Information