Railway pocket watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chascomm
  • 1 Post By eri231

Thread: Railway pocket watch?

Cool Railway pocket watch?

Dear All
    Frank from Australia - student in watchmaking with an interest in railway pocket watches.

I would like your help in identifying if a pocket watch is a railway watch - I think it may be - do you know the emblem on the case?
    The numbers under the emblem are 1 - 1 - 20
    Thank you in anticipation may you be able to help.

Cheers
    Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images

" My opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick up a number and get in the line" Christopher Hitchens, author and writer

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Railway pocket watch?

The emblem seems to say "FMA" which does not seem like an obvious match to any Australian railway. Do you have any photos of the dial and the movement? And where in Australia did you find the watch?
    eri231 likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Paparazzi...Frank: thanks for the photo...for those of us who gravitate to this Section and enjoy assisting others with their questions , a picture of the watch's movement & dial are almost always necessary!

If you'd care to post such images, I'm certain you'll soon have the answer to your question.

As for the emblem: I have seen perhaps 100 such designations over the past 25+ years, and consider that they are almost certainly the initials of the owner. I have owned a few dozen RR watches, and have never seen ( or heard of ) a railroad that designated itself thusly. I suggest, therefore, that these are the owner's initials, and that the 1-1-20 designates the date that the watch showed up with him or her: 1 January, 1920. Michael.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    The emblem seems to say "FMA" which does not seem like an obvious match to any Australian railway. Do you have any photos of the dial and the movement? And where in Australia did you find the watch?

maybe a date? first of january 1920
    regards enrico

P.S. With a nickname Paparazzi it is imperative to make great photos!
    Last edited by eri231; August 9th, 2017 at 13:57.
    Giotime likes this.

Thank you for your replies.

Enrico, you are obviously correct - I have to post the pics, or I don't deserve to use my username
    Pics below.

The suggestion about the numbers being a birthdate has merit, and the pocket watch is smaller than I would expect about a railway pocket watch.
    I thought that this may be a railway watch because the emblem on the back is similar to emblems on the back of other railway pocket watches I have, e.g. Serbian and Italian railways (ferrovie dello stato).

It definitely is not an Australian railway pocket watch - they don't have emblems on the back, just the State (e.g. NWS) and employee numbers.
    It was wishful thinking, but I think I'lll have to accept that the emblem is in fact a family anagram (very well done as well).Name:  pocket watch 30.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  112.5 KBName:  Pocket watch 20.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  36.6 KB
    " My opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick up a number and get in the line" Christopher Hitchens, author and writer

Although no paparazzi-shot from Britney Spears under the shower ... Movement made by Berna Watch Co., Watches, watch parts, St.-Imier, Switzerland, registered October 26, 1914. So, that's defining the lower end what concerns the age of the watch, but can't be far away from that. Markings on the case back initials are of the owner or relating to something else, but not to the watch itself.

Too bad the minute hand is not broken as well, otherwise we could clearly identify the name on the dial. If you should happen to get a paparazzi-shot of Britney Spears under the shower without her head shown, make a caption to let people know who that is.

Oh, I almost forgot: That watch is so far away from a railroad watch (under the standards for precision necessary to get such a certificatin) as the moon from the Earth if you continue to travel back and fourth for the next ten years...

Interesting marking: Swiss Made High Life...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 10th, 2017 at 12:23.

thanks BR - great info about this piece I was not aware of.
    The name on the dial is Madorina Watch Co.
    Britney spears under the shower......I reserve the right to remain silent

Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    thanks BR - great info about this piece I was not aware of.
    The name on the dial is Madorina Watch Co.
    Britney spears under the shower......I reserve the right to remain silent
    Well, then we might have the maker of the watch as well: There are several with the brand name Madorina. Madorina brand - C.E. Droz, watches and watch parts, Geneva, Switzerland, registered November 25, 1916 and Broadcast Watch Co. Ltd, watches, watch parts, Biel, Switzerland, registered Juli 20, 1927.

If the numbers on the back 1-1-20 are January 1, 1920, then it should be C.E.Droz.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 10th, 2017 at 12:46.

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 10th, 2017 at 12:44.

Thread Information