Rare Lemania 105: Queries on originality
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rare Lemania 105: Queries on originality

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare Lemania 105: Queries on originality

I have an opportunity to pick this one up for 350 USD .But I have some queries on the originality of the watch in question.

Is this a genuine dial?I'm particularly concerned about the faded fonts in the lower part of the dial.

The GP case with flat pushers is something that adds a premium for collectors than the regular SS examples. Is my reasoning correct?

Lastly, what are your opinions on the movement and its general condition?I understand the cal. 1270/1280 is a fairly desirable one.

Should I keep holding out for something better at the price being asked for or is it a good purchase factoring in all of the above?Pics are attached for your reference below.I must add that my last purchase based on the inputs of the forum has been a great source of joy.It was a Buren.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by WATCH-er; October 18th, 2014 at 16:27.
    Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.

Re: Rare Lemania 105: Queries on originality

It's got Kif shock protection so it's a Lemania 1280 or 1281. I can't see anything wrong with the dial but then I'm almost blind.
    Last edited by Shum; October 18th, 2014 at 16:51.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    It's got Kif shock protection so it's a Lemania 1280 or 1281. I can't see anything wrong with the dial but then I'm almost blind.
    Ever so humble with your observation skills, aren't you?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH-er View Post
    Ever so humble with your observation skills, aren't you?
    I'm so humble I need to pinch myself now and then.

It looks like there are fingerprints on the dial that have reacted over the years so it has gone a little bad in the lower corner
    Last edited by Marrick; October 19th, 2014 at 10:05. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    I'm so humble I need to pinch myself now and then.

It looks like there are fingerprints on the dial that have reacted over the years so it has gone a little bad in the lover corner
    Problem with most of the generally clean dials is that they are too clean hinting at redials.Yet to come accross that completely clean with patina and zero speckmarks dial.I have'nt committed to the purchase of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH-er View Post
    Problem with most of the generally clean dials is that they are too clean hinting at redials.Yet to come accross that completely clean with patina and zero speckmarks dial.I have'nt committed to the purchase of course.
    I don't know if the fingerprints can be removed or if the damge has gone down deeper then the upper layer and it will only get worse so I would stay away or find a replacement dial. The faded antichoc is normal as it was printed with a lighter color.
    Last edited by Shum; October 18th, 2014 at 17:19.

Your target watch is quite similar to the Lemania 105 I picked up a couple of months ago but didn't receive until this week from my Sister in Venice I have my US EB purchases sent to her.....

It looks nice and while I didn't look at your hallmark pics if they are there, mine is solid 18ct, yours has a better dial after all the years have gone by and I paid a little higher price, cheers and good luck ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk
    Shum, busmatt and James A like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

I would also have thought a SS case would be more desirable compared to a worn GF. But I don't know the preference specifics of this model for collectors. That said, they don't seem to come up for sale often - I would rather like one myself. Starting from one in good condition is a much easier road to travel.

I have this NOS dial and hand set from I guess a slightly later 1270 - one day I hope I will find a suitable watch on which to use them. Posted as a potential reference.

BTW, the 'NOS' dial currently on ebay looks like a redial to me.
    Last edited by trim; October 19th, 2014 at 03:46.

Generally speaking, stainless steel is worth more then gold plate, especially badly worn gold plate like this. I'm not sure the dial belongs to the movement; Antichoc, AFAIK, refers to a particular type of shock protection, which this watch doesn't use. Is this watch from a south american or asian country, by any chance?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I would also have thought a SS case would be more desirable compared to a worn GF. But I don't know the preference specifics of this model for collectors. That said, they don't seem to come up for sale often - I would rather like one myself. Starting from one in good condition is a much easier road to travel.

I have this NOS dial and hand set from I guess a slightly later 1270 - one day I hope I will find a suitable watch on which to use them. Posted as a potential reference.

BTW, the 'NOS' dial currently on ebay looks like a redial to me.
    NOS dial that you have looks nice.I prefer a well-worn look, without the smudges, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    Your target watch is quite similar to the Lemania 105 I picked up a couple of months ago but didn't receive until this week from my Sister in Venice I have my US EB purchases sent to her.....

It looks nice and while I didn't look at your hallmark pics if they are there, mine is solid 18ct, yours has a better dial after all the years have gone by and I paid a little higher price, cheers and good luck ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk
    Nice watch you have there, I daresay, classier looking than what I have here.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Generally speaking, stainless steel is worth more then gold plate, especially badly worn gold plate like this. I'm not sure the dial belongs to the movement; Antichoc, AFAIK, refers to a particular type of shock protection, which this watch doesn't use. Is this watch from a south american or asian country, by any chance?
    Watch is from Turkey. Antichoc was a common inscription found on Lemanias. Dont know the significance of it here though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information