rare Waltham hunter pocket watch - help needed with identifying and selling price

Thread: rare Waltham hunter pocket watch - help needed with identifying and selling price

Confused rare Waltham hunter pocket watch - help needed with identifying and selling price

Hello
    My and my brother have decided to sell this Waltham watch (pictures below) which we inherited from our dad. I would say it is a rare Waltham since I couldnt find a single picture or any info of it on the internet.

I have found similar Walthams but without the dirty adult bit ! (its a pic of a man penetrating a woman and he actually goes back and forth with every tick tock!! ) . has anyone seen that watch before? if so do you know the exact model and how much do you think I should sell it for?

Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 1330
Size:  401.6 KB
    Name:  photo(3).JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  376.1 KB

would really appreciate any advice as I dont know much about vintage watches
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: rare Waltham hunter pocket watch - help needed with identifying and selling price

The watch has been reworked and recased. It is not a Waltham model, only a Waltham movement and dial. It is not attractive to a normal collector. However, there are people who collect these sorts of things (I was surprised at how common reworks of this nature are...).

The stickies (posts stuck at the top of the forum) say why we don't do valuations. It would be very difficult for a piece like this anyway as there is not really an active market in them. I suspect it would sell for less than a non-reworked Waltham. But, if you can find the right buyer....
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: rare Waltham hunter pocket watch - help needed with identifying and selling price

Not only is it a reworked watch, but it's badly reworked at that. The case is a normal demi-hunter case; they weren't exactly common, but there were enough of them around. The movement, on the other hand, we know almost nothing about (and won't unless you can get someone to open the back cover and take a picture of the movement). What we <do> know is that it's an "Open face" style of movement that would never have been sold with this case (or even recased in this case by anyone with a brain). Take a look at the numbers on the dial. Now take a look at the numbers on the front of the case. Putting an open face movement into this case is beyond dumb, especially given that there are so many high-quality, uncased movements out there just begging for a good home. As for the "naughty" hands, that's interesting but I'm inclined to wonder how "safe" that is for the watch.

I doubt this would sell for any more then any other generic Waltham pocketwatch; you'll need to find out what the movement, and then your best bet is to compare with other, similar movments on Ebay or other retail websites. If you post some pictures of the movement (or even just the serial number off the watch bridge), we can give you a fair amount of detail as to the relative quality and scarcity of that part. The hands are another matter altogether; without knowing who added them, they're more apt to lower the price then anything else, unless you get lucky and find someone who has a particular interest in that sort of thing.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information