Reached a milestone in my collection I own an Omega Seamaster
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Reached a milestone in my collection I own an Omega Seamaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reached a milestone in my collection I own an Omega Seamaster

One day last week when I was doing my daily Omega Seamaster search on ebay , for one cheap enough to afford but yet looks salvageable, this watch came up. It was 100 dollars buy it now and I debated whether or not to buy it for several painful minutes. It looked like it had some dial damage and dirt on the inside of crystal and it did not work. Well I got it today and just finished cleaning it up and it came out good! most of the dirt came off. I can see at one time it must have gotten a small amount of water through the crown because the stem was rusty. I put new seal in the crown and hope it will be good now. The dead battery in it was a 1.55 and I replaced it with a 1.50 battery in an adapter and its running great since this morning actually and keeping time just about 1-2 seconds slow. I have a new battery on its way just in case. Been wanting a Seamaster for so long and now that I have on it will be on my wrist a lot.

First picture is what it looked like when I got it.

Re: Reached a milestone in my collection I own an Omega Seamaster

Awesome! What a great find! Wear it in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FreddyNorton likes this.

Nice.. is that one of those movements that can be damaged by setting the time if you move the hands backwards?
    FreddyNorton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Nice.. is that one of those movements that can be damaged by setting the time if you move the hands backwards?
    Im not sure I have not tried yet! I always set time forward on every watch just to be safe.

Nice watch. The Omega "hummers" have the Rolls Royce of tuning fork movements in it.

Omega designed the watch to use a 1.55v battery (unlike Bulova)

Turning the hands backwards could damage the watch and strip the teeth off the index wheel

The date wheel suffers from the same issue as the Bulova ones. They all have weak engagement teeth so turn the quick set carefully and not anywhere near 8pm to 6am
    busmatt likes this.

The watch is running a minute and a half slow since I put the battery in it a few days ago. Could this be the 1.50 battery I put in it? I have the 1.55 on its way should be here monday. Do these need to be "serviced" like a wind up watch?

Banned

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    The watch is running a minute and a half slow since I put the battery in it a few days ago. Could this be the 1.50 battery I put in it? I have the 1.55 on its way should be here monday. Do these need to be "serviced" like a wind up watch?

The correct battery for this watch is a #344 which should be available at any jewelers or Walmart. I get mine from Batteries Plus. They run between $2-$3.50 depending upon where you get it.

The watch is serviced similar to a wind up watch in relation to cleaning and oiling of it. There are two knobs at the bottom of the movment for regulating however it is only for regulating if your watch is running +/- 8 secs off per day. Yours is out of that spec so it will need a cleaning/servicing. A correct battery might fix this but it should still be serviced.

Yours is called the Cone due to its shape and these are highly collectible and sought after so spending money on cleaning and servicing is worth it.
    busmatt and mousekar75 like this.

Great find!

Got the 1.55v battery in it just over 24 hours ago and its running 3 seconds slow. A lot better than the couple minutes slow the other one was giving me. Here are some pictures taken with my real camera. The case is still very sharp even if it is beat up a bit. I am enjoying the watch very well. Also it seems it has no trouble with the date ring as its been working perfectly and has a nice click when you set the date. The scratch on the crystal is just BARELY enough to pick up with your fingernail. Is there a way to polish out a scratch like this in a glass crystal like this one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information