Real or fake?

Thread: Real or fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real or fake?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to know if anyone can identify this watch as real or fake:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low priceshanks for your help

Re: Real or fake?

Hi and welcome!

Its not a make I know lots about. From looking at the pics, I was going to say it looks like the watch has been redialled! But the seller does say this anyway!

The crown also looks like a replacement... but this is something that happens on vintage watches... and would not give me much concern

The hands look right and show signs of age... as does the case! but without a pic of the movement, its hard to say how 'legit' the watch is!

Someone more knowledgeable may come along in a min and give a better answer!

Good luck,

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

I believe it was Landeron that started using the arrowed hand on the minute register (sub dial). Although the L 148/ 149 movements were more 1950's - 1960's than earlier. I'd not plop down hundreds on a watch without having a look at the movement.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I believe it was Landeron that started using the arrowed hand on the minute register (sub dial). Although the L 148/ 149 movements were more 1950's - 1960's than earlier. I'd not plop down hundreds on a watch without having a look at the movement.
    I would also guess Landeron.... but the the earlier landeron movements - L48 for example - from the late 30s onwards, also used the arrow hand... I think its important for you to get information and ideally photos of the movement - and pics of the caseback inside!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Yep, redialed generic Chronoswiss with paper thin case, worth it's weight in 18k only. Most of these B&M's come out of South America are are fakes, rebranded dials and sometimes they even stamp the case.

I thought the same as leonlecoultre.
    I'd expect to see a B&M in a good quality gold case and not one of these paper thin, hollow lugged jobs.

Thanks guys. If you don't mind, I will try again. Does anyone know about these two from Dubey & Schaldenbrand? Are they authentic and worth the asking price?

Dubey & Schaldenbrand Index Mobile for $.1,631 for sale from a Private seller on Chrono24

Dubey & Schaldenbrand Chronograph for $.1,748 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

no idea about the Valjoux 22 watch. But if ever someone had the the chance to create a fake, he would have chosen a more exciting brand. So I suspect it is authentic.

The Index Mobile is described as reedition from 1996. Don't know the precise year, but in the late 90s Dubey & Schaldenbrand gave a reasonable old stock of complete watches, movements, cases, dials etc. to Daniel Baumann, who made the watches and parts ready for use. I guess in die 50s the cases with display back were restricted to variants with engraved decorations like this one:
    bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 583: Gents Dubey & Schaldenbrand Index Mobile, engraved, ca.1950
    But nontheless the description is honest, and many would regard these watches or at least some of them to be watches from the 50s, since Baumann was employed by D&S in the 50s, and the assembling in the 90s was authorized by D&S:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks, Roland, for both the assessment and the history.

I like both of the watches but am not sure about the prices. At least I can be comfortable I am getting the real article if I decide to buy.

Best regards,

Mike

Hi again,

Going back to the B&M Chrono I originally I posted, it was pulled and relisted with pictures of the movement.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Does it still look like a generic Chronoswiss with the additional pictures? I don't know enough to see the paper-thin case.

Here is another B&M, any opinions on the authenticity of the watch? I am concerned about the seller as the Breitling they are offering looks like one of the redialed frankens coming from S. America.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

BREITLING CHRONOGRAPH 2 TONE DIAL VENUS 170 CLASSIC DIAL UP DOWN MANUAL WIND | eBay

Thanks,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information