Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe??? - Page 2
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Ref 3417 is a safe bet,this image courtesy google..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ORG_8315_l.jpeg 
Views:	446 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3074346
    bobbee likes this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

In truth, that's about as generic-looking a watch as you'll ever find, so anyone who gives you a definitive "Real" or "Fake" based on pictures of the outside of it is blowing smoke. The movement will be the key thing here, I think.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    In truth, that's about as generic-looking a watch as you'll ever find, so anyone who gives you a definitive "Real" or "Fake" based on pictures of the outside of it is blowing smoke. The movement will be the key thing here, I think.
    For sure Rob,the image above is from a reputable jeweler and is the real mcoy,i provided it for the sake of comparison,a movement pic is the best way to determine the authenticity of the op`s watch,as you say.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Some people know more about watches than others..... knowledge is power!!!

I buy lots of watches off lesser photos....

That's why I objected so strongly to "the pit falls of buying on eBay" post. It was a load of tripe.... if you want to buy great watches on line ignore that advice and learn learn learn.

I stand on my record.... I have a formidable collection... 99% bought on line... 70% with crap photos... you just need to know what your looking at....

Here's some smoke for you.... a picture showing just the chronographs I bought between July an December last year.

bobbee likes this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Nice watch, I agree it looks like the real thing.
    Your's are great too Oinkett, is that a Montal bracelet on the middle one?
    I have a similar one with the slide-on curved end pieces.

Cheers, Bob.
    Gay Freres
    bobbee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post
    Some people know more about watches than others..... knowledge is power!!!

I buy lots of watches off lesser photos....

That's why I objected so strongly to "the pit falls of buying on eBay" post. It was a load of tripe.... if you want to buy great watches on line ignore that advice and learn learn learn.

I stand on my record.... I have a formidable collection... 99% bought on line... 70% with crap photos... you just need to know what your looking at....

Here's some smoke for you.... a picture showing just the chronographs I bought between July an December last year.

I must have smoke in my eyes cos I can't tell anything about those watches from this picture....
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

And where there`s smoke there`s fire,but lets not start an inferno here,lets wait for a movement shot from the Op,before we claim anything "fake" or otherwise.

Let me put this to you another way. What aspects of the OP's image identify it as genuine in a way that distinguish it from the product of a talented ukrainian machine shop?
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Let me put this to you another way. What aspects of the OP's image identify it as genuine in a way that distinguish it from the product of a talented ukrainian machine shop?
    Nothing at the moment,we can barely see beyond the damaged crystal,but from what i can see,it shares some similarities to the ref 3417 that i posted,like shorter hour makers at 5 and 7,teeny lume dots,one l in philippe,easily recreated by the ukranian faker as you say,but could also be legit,it`s neither here nor there until we get a look at the movement.

Edit:Ha ha ,were you talking to me Rob.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; February 25th, 2015 at 15:21.
    bobbee likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

As to the photo posted by oinkitt, some pertinent questions spring to mind, e.g.

1. How much did you pay for all of those?

2. How many more did you gamble on (on the basis of bad pictures) that turned out to be trash?

3. ...and how much did you pay including all the ones that turned out to be trash?

4. How much time did you spend on acquiring all that knowledge? (Time is, after all, money and in a simple investment:return calculation, it may turn out that you would have been better off paying more but saving your time and getting the watches quicker)

5. ...and how much money did you spend on acquiring that knowledge?! (Books, computer for internet, electricity for computer..... - see also Point 4 for relevance)

Don't get me wrong - if that is your hobby and you get enjoyment from it, noone should stand in your way. And anyone should be forgiven for concentrating on the pleasant, successful parts of such hobbies and not jotting up every penny spent here and saved there to come up with a calculation of whether it is worth it or not. If it is worth it, good luck to you! However, all this does NOT entitle you to do deride those who haven't yet come as far down the learning road as you, nor those who seek to give advice to others about how to avoid painful losses in a way that might be different to the way you would go about it. I would generally remind you that courtesy should be maintained at all times. And if you find this forum "user unfriendly" (your text in the edit line of the double posting which I have since deleted), then noone is forcing you to stay.....

Hartmut Richter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information