Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe??? - Page 3
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

How strange.
    I always make my decision prior to reading any one else comments.
    Based on the Original Posters Pics, I immediately thought and still do its a 'fake'
    Nothing I can see makes me think this is a genuine Patek Philippe - absolutely nothing.

Lets see movement pics and inside case.

But I would bet that is a fake. If not PF has dropped in my estimation from the King to a Peasant!

sorry
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 25th, 2015 at 22:28.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Hi OP, does your bracelet have a name on it?
    Thanks, Bob.

There is no way that the bracelet is PP. Let's get that part out of the way. Looks like a generic "beads of rice" type bracelet. No logo on the clasp at all.

There are a lot of elements of the watch itself that look correct to me. Without a movement picture, my conjectures are worthless.

This would seem to be a very good reference for PP Ref. 3417's Amagnetics. I think there were some made without the model name on the dial. See page 28 of the e-book below.

ISSUU - Patek Philippe 3417 "Amagnetic" guide (English version) by mstanga

Looks a lot like the OP's watch. Still would need more information.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; February 26th, 2015 at 02:43.
    Apollonaught likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey everyone, here's an update.... I stopped by our jeweler this afternoon to get the scoop on this. They are a former PP dealer (as of a year and a half ago). Still carry Rolex and a handful of other lines. I think of them a reputable and knowledgable jeweler. The watch was examined by their jeweler and watchmaker, in addition to the repair/service woman. They said it was a genuine piece and that I ought to send to PP for some much needed service. They also said the service would cost north of $1500, and to insure it at $5-$8k given the condition it's in. I also learned of the plastic face, and how they were typical based on the age of this piece. They thought PP would replace it, but may be able to replace it with quartz instead... think I ought to go back and get pics of the movement still?

By 'quartz' you mean sapphire right? Yes, we'd still like to see movement pictures? Congrats on the new watch. I would definitely pony up and have it fully serviced. Who know if/when that was done.

You got it - crystal she said. Not Quartz. Not so sure how I mixed that up. I'll take a trip back there tomorrow and get a few pics. I'm interested to see this movement too.

And I'll definitely pony up the dough for this. Pretty cool
    Apollonaught likes this.

Would love to see it on a black leather strap,but`s that`s my own personal taste,congrats on it being the real thing.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

And for the bracelet - it's a replacement and only said "stainless steel" on it. Any idea where to get a new one?

Yes, we would like to see the movement, but I wouldn't risk opening it up again.

A watch of this value should be serviced by PP, despite the exorbitant cost. BTW, your jeweler is quite conservative in his estimate of value. I would say it has to be insured for at least $20K, based on this auction of what looks to be an identical watch.

Patek Philippe. A fine and rare stainless steel antimagnetic wristwatch | SIGNED PATEK PHILIPPE, GENÈVE, REF. 3417, MOVEMENT NO. 733'144, CASE NO. 2'644'306, MANUFACTURED IN 1966 | WATCHES & WRISTWATCHES Auction | 1960s, manual-winding | Christie's

This is a 2010 auction. The value has only increased on these since. Before doing anything, I'd contact Patek directly and see if the watch can be taken to a current authorized dealer for insured shipping to the service center. It is almost impossible to obtain proper insurance to ship the watch as an individual. Most common carriers will not insure it for more than a few hundred dollars.

I know that other high-end watch companies will handle the shipping to and from Switzerland as part of their service, not sure about PP.
    gatorcpa
    Apollonaught and bobbee like this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    As to the photo posted by oinkitt, some pertinent questions spring to mind, e.g.

1. How much did you pay for all of those?

2. How many more did you gamble on (on the basis of bad pictures) that turned out to be trash?

3. ...and how much did you pay including all the ones that turned out to be trash?

4. How much time did you spend on acquiring all that knowledge? (Time is, after all, money and in a simple investment:return calculation, it may turn out that you would have been better off paying more but saving your time and getting the watches quicker)

5. ...and how much money did you spend on acquiring that knowledge?! (Books, computer for internet, electricity for computer..... - see also Point 4 for relevance)

Don't get me wrong - if that is your hobby and you get enjoyment from it, noone should stand in your way. And anyone should be forgiven for concentrating on the pleasant, successful parts of such hobbies and not jotting up every penny spent here and saved there to come up with a calculation of whether it is worth it or not. If it is worth it, good luck to you! However, all this does NOT entitle you to do deride those who haven't yet come as far down the learning road as you, nor those who seek to give advice to others about how to avoid painful losses in a way that might be different to the way you would go about it. I would generally remind you that courtesy should be maintained at all times. And if you find this forum "user unfriendly" (your text in the edit line of the double posting which I have since deleted), then noone is forcing you to stay.....

Hartmut Richter
    1, I don't know. I don't work to a budget, I just buy what I stumble accross and can afford. They were all bought at very keen prices.

2, None

3, See number one. I dont do it for money.

4, Lots..... I only sleep 4 hours a night... I do most everything else I love to excess!!

5, A bit.. an im still learning.... I love to learn!!

I wasnt deriding anyone... Im not better or important than a cockroach!!

I was just pointing out the facts and stating my opinion. I stand by my claim that some of the posts gave very poor advice.

I believe the OP has posted the 'verdict' re this matter.

I dont know anything much... it was just a lucky guess ;)

As for the forum being "user unfriendly", I think it has something to do with the auto save...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information