Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe??? - Page 4
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Quote Originally Posted by ColdNY View Post
    Hey everyone, here's an update.... I stopped by our jeweler this afternoon to get the scoop on this. They are a former PP dealer (as of a year and a half ago). Still carry Rolex and a handful of other lines. I think of them a reputable and knowledgable jeweler. The watch was examined by their jeweler and watchmaker, in addition to the repair/service woman. They said it was a genuine piece and that I ought to send to PP for some much needed service. They also said the service would cost north of $1500, and to insure it at $5-$8k given the condition it's in. I also learned of the plastic face, and how they were typical based on the age of this piece. They thought PP would replace it, but may be able to replace it with quartz instead... think I ought to go back and get pics of the movement still?
    I stand corrected and amazed.
    Total piece looked a fake to me
    adam
    bobbee likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am glad that you can find so much time for your hobby and that it is giving you so much pleasure. As for "user unfriendly", this does sometimes happen and I find that it tends to be less the forum and more the internet connection. When things are running slow, you hit the "Submit" button once more and end up with a double post. This is not much of a problem - there is a certain space of time in which you can edit your post and delete the content, replacing it with a "Double post - Moderator, please delete" or something like that. We will then oblige.

It is your perfect right to disagree with what others post and consider it poor advice. I was not criticising you for doing so but rather the confrontational choice of words with which you imparted the message. It should be obvious that a "Sorry but I don't think that is right because....." followed by a list of decent arguments comes across better than a "That's a load of bull!!" (or words to that effect). In the end, please remember also that if you can't definitely prove the other person wrong, it is opinion vs. opinion. You have a right to yours but the other person also has a right to his.

Enjoy the forum.

Hartmut Richter

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

"Quartz" (crystal) is actually not sapphire but mineral crystal. Harder than plexiglass but softer than sapphire. And therefore not entirely scratchproof.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I found this to be a fascinating post!

I have only recently started down that dangerous track (from a habit forming point of view) of vintage watch collecting.

My approach is simple but focussed. I am trying to rescue perfectly good watches from languishing unappreciated and being thrown out as junk. Hence I spend most of my time (and limited $) not online but at junk shops and Sunday market stalls and I have come to recognise a few handy pointers to what’s worth buying.

I have a lot to learn and welcome other member’s corrections if I am way off the mark; buts here’s my 2c worth.

I always thought this was a genuine PP for the following reasons (which are not based on having any knowledge of PP watches cos I have none).

1. Look at its provenance – it came from the OP’s Grandfather (not an online auction site) which would strongly suggest to me that it may be original.
    2. Look at its condition – tell me if I am wrong, but I would think a faker would be unlikely to spend time making a watch look old, beat up and with a damaged/crazed glass.
    Last edited by Hodmandod; February 26th, 2015 at 22:11.

Which is, of course, why it's so foolish to make hard claims about authenticity in the absence of clear evidence.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmandod View Post
    I found this to be a fascinating post!

I have only recently started down that dangerous track (from a habit forming point of view) of vintage watch collecting.

My approach is simple but focussed. I am trying to rescue perfectly good watches from languishing unappreciated and being thrown out as junk. Hence I spend most of my time (and limited $) not online but at junk shops and Sunday market stalls and I have come to recognise a few handy pointers to what’s worth buying.

I have a lot to learn and welcome other member’s corrections if I am way off the mark; buts here’s my 2c worth.

I always thought this was a genuine PP for the following reasons (which are not based on having any knowledge of PP watches cos I have none).

1. Look at its provenance – it came from the OP’s Grandfather (not an online auction site) which would strongly suggest to me that it may be original.
    2. Look at its condition – tell me if I am wrong, but I would think a faker would be unlikely to spend time making a watch look old, beat up and with a damaged/crazed glass.
    Provenance means little without more research, even grandfathers get caught.
    Its condition meant nothing, it did not start out even as a fake with crazed glass. That happens more readily because they are fake.
    finally anyone that own a genuine PF and fits that strap, points me immediately to a fake.

AND
    without all the photos and checking, it added up to a fake to me

regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Provenance means little without more research, even grandfathers get caught.
    Its condition meant nothing, it did not start out even as a fake with crazed glass. That happens more readily because they are fake.
    finally anyone that own a genuine PF and fits that strap, points me immediately to a fake.

AND
    without all the photos and checking, it added up to a fake to me

regards
    adam
    I see what you are saying; but how long have fakers been out there to the extent they are now? If this watch was a fake it would have to have been a very old fake.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

The OP's watch was obviously a quite old one, with compression fractures on the crystal.
    The simplicity of design that has still small indicators of quality are there to see, if only you look hard enough, and know what you are looking for.

The fact that it originally belonged to his Grandfather was also overlooked, or perhaps taken with a pinch of salt by some.
    Last edited by bobbee; February 26th, 2015 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmandod View Post
    I see what you are saying; but how long have fakers been out there to the extent they are now? If this watch was a fake it would have to have been a very old fake.
    Since the beginning of time!
    Truly
    Fakes exist on anything and everything that is sellable.
    A

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    The simplicity of design that has still small indicators of quality are there to see, if only you look hard enough, and know what you are looking for.

The fact that it originally belonged to his Grandfather was also overlooked, or perhaps taken with a pinch of salt by some.
    Sorry, I can not agree with that.
    Even now, I can not believe this watch is genuine.

Sorry
    adam

and
    Adam

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information