Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe??? - Page 5
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

I've also been looking into this thread for quite some time, and I'm waiting for one thing and one thing only- the movement picture.
    As for now, I'd lean towards considering (not to be confused with "I'm convinced") that this watch is original. Apollonaught has posted a watch which appears to be identical with OP's- the ref. 3417.
    As to the bracelet being a probe of whether this watch is genuine- I wouldn't suggest myself with that. I've seen people replacing original bracelets with a mesh, just because that was their preference. It all depends on the attitude of the owner- if the OP's grandfather simply wanted to have his watch on a bracelet, no matter how it looks, then I can see no reason for which he shouldn't have done so. People tend to have different definitions of what "aesthetic" means. I've seen people placing a Speidel bracelet on watches of reputable brands. As much as I disagree with their choice, I can understand it.
    The last thing that convinces me, is that it was identified as original by a watchmaker, who was dealing with Patek for apparently quite some time- and probably had the knowledge necessary to distinguish the real thing from rubbish.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Since the beginning of time!
    Truly
    Fakes exist on anything and everything that is sellable.
    A
    You missed my qualifier "to the extent they are now". Completely agree con-artists have been around forever - but people faking 1950 watches, not so long.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Since the beginning of time!
    Truly
    Fakes exist on anything and everything that is sellable.
    There is no way to know for sure with the information we've been given so far. The bracelet is meaningless. The Grandfather Story is meaningless. The crystal is meaningless.

I lean towards original only because every element of the narrative of the dial in the online Amagnetic treatise is met. Also, the dial and case matches the example in the Christie's auction from 2010. Even the notches near the lugs are the same.

The OP's statement about his jeweler's belief that it is real carries a little bit of weight. But very little, since there is really no possible way for us to corroborate that part of the story without pictures of the movement or even a serial/case number.

If the OP takes my advice and calls PP directly, he'll find out for sure. They will likely direct him to a current dealer. That dealer will inspect the watch and will not accept it for service if it is a fake. However, we may never find out the end of the saga.

That's life.
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmandod View Post
    You missed my qualifier "to the extent they are now". Completely agree con-artists have been around forever - but people faking 1950 watches, not so long.
    OK
    Say 1747 to 1823 - Breguet.
    How many fake Breguet do we see - 95%

The NAWCC Museum owns from memory about 21 Breguet watches - 3 are genuine.
    Hope that helps
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    There is no way to know for sure with the information we've been given so far. The bracelet is meaningless. The Grandfather Story is meaningless. The crystal is meaningless.

I lean towards original only because every element of the narrative of the dial in the online Amagnetic treatise is met. Also, the dial and case matches the example in the Christie's auction from 2010. Even the notches near the lugs are the same.

The OP's statement about his jeweler's belief that it is real carries a little bit of weight. But very little, since there is really no possible way for us to corroborate that part of the story without pictures of the movement or even a serial/case number.

If the OP takes my advice and calls PP directly, he'll find out for sure. They will likely direct him to a current dealer. That dealer will inspect the watch and will not accept it for service if it is a fake. However, we may never find out the end of the saga.

That's life.
    gatorcpa
    Agree
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Inactive

I will probably get banned for this...

The conjecture re this watch is laughable.

Any person who knows about 60s steel Patek's will know exactly what it is.

If the watch didn't belong to the OP's grandfather I would have sent a serious offer and wouldn't ask for further pictures....

I love eBay listings with photos like this!!!!
    Hodmandod and gatorcpa like this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    I must have smoke in my eyes cos I can't tell anything about those watches from this picture....
    I was going to do a post, "A chronograph a day for May'.

If I don't get lazy or banned I will do so......... in May.

You will see some of them then.
    jackruff and bobbee like this.

Hey gents,

I have an email in to PP and am awaiting info on how to send along to their service center in NYC. I took my jeweler's word for it; although it sounds like I should still go back to get a pic of the movement still?

I'd hate to spend the time and money to send it to NYC if it were all for not.... On the other hand gatorcpa has got me concerned about opening this thing up again.

To add to the mix - I sent an email to my uncle to say thank you. He replied saying that my grandfather bought this watch wanting to pass it down from one generation to the next, and considered it to be an investment. Yikes. Would hate to have gone this far and find out if was a fake.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the jeweler cracking open the case or should I send along to PP service center?

Also found this online, seems like the 3417.

1950 Patek Philippe Amagnetic Ref 3417 Watch For Sale - Mens Vintage Time only

Thanks for your help!

And as a point of reference, the nearest retailer is as far in travel as the service center is from me. The closest retailer to me was the jeweler that I took it to for the input. As I mentioned, they stopped carrying Patek about a year and a half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdNY View Post
    And as a point of reference, the nearest retailer is as far in travel as the service center is from me. The closest retailer to me was the jeweler that I took it to for the input. As I mentioned, they stopped carrying Patek about a year and a half ago.
    If that is the case, then it would be worth the drive or plane ticket to New York City (I'm guessing) rather than mailing it to them. The lack of adequate insurance coverage would make me very nervous. Again, let Patek guide you.

Good luck with the service.
    gatorcpa

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information